3D Modeler for Arc Shape-

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by 76686_deleted, Mar 28, 2011.

1. 76686_deleted
    76686_deleted Member
    Hi All,

EDIT: Thanks for the advice... I'm trying to hammer something out.

I am hoping so one can help me by completing a model of the "Indiana Arc" by Charles O Perry at Indiana University. I am not sure how large the scalability might be, but I am interested in a model between .75" (length and height, to anything up to 5" or so.

My CAD experience is limited (at best) so I'm not sure how difficult this type of shape might be. Thanks for looking!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    I'd gladly help you out.

The sculpture should be easy enough to replicate, and I've been trying out some ideas to create a copy, but have not quite got it spot on. Are you in a position to be able to get more photos from different angles?

Cheers,
    Paul

3. 76686_deleted
    76686_deleted Member
    I think I am going to try to go capture a video today of the arc so I can get a full view of it all. If I am unable to model it myself, I will certainly contact one of you. Thank you very much!

Also for fun, here is a list of Perry's other sculptures. Very eye catching
    http://www.charlesperry.com/sculpture/style/planar/

4. stop4stuff
    Video would be great, I'm particularly interested in seeing the form of the middle inside top of the arc.

Perry's jewelry is also very interesting - certainly a lot of inspiration to be had ;)

Paul

5. sdeboer
    sdeboer Member
    Here below I have modeled the arch.
    Are you interested?

I will upload it in my shop for you,

best regards,

Sander

Attached Files:

6. sdeboer
    sdeboer Member
    Here you'll find the measurements

Attached Files:

7. stop4stuff
    Sander,

Check out some photos of Perry's Indiana Arc - Indiana Art Museum on flickr and Charles Perry's website. The sculpture isn't a simple extrusion or twisted (mobius) extrusion, from what I figure there are four sheets of metal involved (planes), two follow obvious paths, the other two do not.

My PC is still crunching away (6 hours so far) slicing some of the parts to make this model... I won't know if I have the proportions correct until it has sliced another 2 parts!

Paul

8. 76686_deleted
    76686_deleted Member
    ^ Ya what he said. I am also seeing if I can hammer out a model myself... I've gotten a couple similar variations but I am enjoying playing around with different models... it's certainly a unique design interesting (and confusing) design.

Thanks for the attempt though.. I'm probably going to tackle this on my own for a bit and see if I can figure it out.

9. sdeboer
    sdeboer Member
    To bad,

If yuo need any help, let me know, I know I can make it though. Or make it hollow, then it will become cheaper.
    And with a base so you can place it on your desk.

reagards

Sander

10. stop4stuff
    Follow-up to my PM -
    Plane 1 runs -30 thru to 30 degrees.
    Plane 2 runs 30 degrees thru to 150 degrees.
    Render of planes 3 & 4 - 90 degree rotation is too much - maybe just 60 degrees would do.

:)

11. stop4stuff
    I cracked it!
    There's only 3 planes :)

Rough'n'ready model viewable here