Rolling hour-track

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by tinkernetic, Mar 28, 2011.

1. tinkernetic
    tinkernetic Member
    Hello everyone,

I've decided to make crossover between a rolling ball sculpture and an hourglass. Here's the result so far:
    Rolling_HourTrack_WIP_123.jpg
    It's designed so that the ball can be replaced with a different one - from a different material and/or color.
    The whole thing is about 8cm in height and 6cm in diameter and the orb to be used has to be from 1cm to 1,1cm in diameter.

It is almost complete. One thing I still can't decide how to design is a system to close off the opening for the ball, so that it doesn't fall out while you flip it.

What do you think? :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Pretty sweet looking. Are you planing on printing in stainless? I know there was a guy that did rolling things in WSF, haven't seen anything new from him in a while... I've been thinking of something similar, but didn't want to have to spend the money to prototype to get it so it actually kept some sort of time. :p

3. tinkernetic
    tinkernetic Member
    Glad you like it :)
    Well, not actually. I'm going to print it in WSF as a start, because I don't really have much money to be spending right now. But, of course, I'll make stainless available for anyone who want to try it that way ;)

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I was wondering about the stainless, I'm worried about the unsupported geometry. I think this would be a nightmare for the technicians. If it's designed at 3mm I'd do sandstone.

5. tinkernetic
    tinkernetic Member
    Yes actually, stainless might be impossible with this model. I forgot that fact :rolleyes:
    As for sandstone - I doubt it too. The inner rail is 2mm diameter and the outer one about 2.5 mm.