Home » Community » Work in progress » Rolling hour-track
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Rolling hour-track [message #25351] Mon, 28 March 2011 09:53 UTC Go to next message
avatar drdearth  is currently offline drdearth
Go to my shop
Hello everyone,

I've decided to make crossover between a rolling ball sculpture and an hourglass. Here's the result so far:
index.php?t=getfile&id=7822&private=0
It's designed so that the ball can be replaced with a different one - from a different material and/or color.
The whole thing is about 8cm in height and 6cm in diameter and the orb to be used has to be from 1cm to 1,1cm in diameter.

It is almost complete. One thing I still can't decide how to design is a system to close off the opening for the ball, so that it doesn't fall out while you flip it.

What do you think? Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 28 March 2011 10:09 UTC]

Re: Rolling hour-track [message #25358 is a reply to message #25351 ] Mon, 28 March 2011 12:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Pretty sweet looking. Are you planing on printing in stainless? I know there was a guy that did rolling things in WSF, haven't seen anything new from him in a while... I've been thinking of something similar, but didn't want to have to spend the money to prototype to get it so it actually kept some sort of time. Razz

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Rolling hour-track [message #25403 is a reply to message #25358 ] Tue, 29 March 2011 09:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Mon, 28 March 2011 12:33

Pretty sweet looking. Are you planing on printing in stainless?

Glad you like it Smile
Well, not actually. I'm going to print it in WSF as a start, because I don't really have much money to be spending right now. But, of course, I'll make stainless available for anyone who want to try it that way Wink
Re: Rolling hour-track [message #25408 is a reply to message #25351 ] Tue, 29 March 2011 12:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I was wondering about the stainless, I'm worried about the unsupported geometry. I think this would be a nightmare for the technicians. If it's designed at 3mm I'd do sandstone.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Rolling hour-track [message #25440 is a reply to message #25408 ] Wed, 30 March 2011 15:20 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Tue, 29 March 2011 12:43

I was wondering about the stainless, I'm worried about the unsupported geometry. I think this would be a nightmare for the technicians. If it's designed at 3mm I'd do sandstone.

Yes actually, stainless might be impossible with this model. I forgot that fact Rolling Eyes
As for sandstone - I doubt it too. The inner rail is 2mm diameter and the outer one about 2.5 mm.

Previous Topic:What material for prototype ?
Next Topic:Minion Helmet

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.