Home » Community » Introductions » New to 3d printing - Concept Phone
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
New to 3d printing - Concept Phone [message #25198] Wed, 23 March 2011 21:34 UTC Go to next message
avatar Maarten Nauw  is currently offline Maarten Nauw
Go to all my models
Hi everybody,

I am a new member to this community. I am a 3d artist for about 7 years now but new to 3d printing. At the moment we are working on a concept mobile phone. The designing and modeling is already done. Now we are wondering what material is the best for us to use. The phone is a bit smaller then an iphone. And should we print several parts apart? Like the screen should be printed in glass? and the body in aluminium for example?

Hope you guys can help me out with it

For some of my work goto: www.maartennauw.com

Thanks,
Maarten
Re: New to 3d printing - Concept Phone [message #25200 is a reply to message #25198 ] Wed, 23 March 2011 22:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
Hey Maarten, welcome!

So you're trying to create a phone where the case is made exclusively through 3D printing? Before any of us are able to help, we probably need more info on intended features. I bet you'll be right about separate printed pieces being the best way to go, though.

Can you share a rendering with us? Smile

Community Manager | Shapeways

Re: New to 3d printing - Concept Phone [message #25201 is a reply to message #25198 ] Wed, 23 March 2011 22:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hi Ana,

Sure here are some screengrabs. There are seperate parts like the black thing on the back where the cameras are located. And there is a big seperate piece at the back. Also there is a name logo at the top of the back how would we go about that?

index.php?t=getfile&id=7755&private=0

• Attachment: Screen1.jpg
    (Size: 240.08KB, Downloaded 344 time(s))

Re: New to 3d printing - Concept Phone [message #25205 is a reply to message #25201 ] Thu, 24 March 2011 00:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
Looks nice,

You could ad depth or emboss logo to make it visible,

We can 3D print alumide but not aluminum,

http://www.shapeways.com/materials/alumide

The glass we 3D print is not transparent, so you would need to cut and capture some toughened (I guess) glass or use lexan?

Good luck

Duann Scott

Re: New to 3d printing - Concept Phone [message #25225 is a reply to message #25198 ] Thu, 24 March 2011 09:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks. Embossing the text is a good idea. But it has a different color then the body. That would be impossible to paint I guess?

I'm not sure what you mean with " cut and capture some toughened (I guess) glass or use lexan?"

Re: New to 3d printing - Concept Phone [message #28174 is a reply to message #25225 ] Wed, 25 May 2011 17:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BAROBA  is currently offline BAROBA
Go to my shop
Dag Maarten,
Hij bedoelt ' je kunt het beste gehard glas of Lexan gebruiken, op maat gesneden'.

Groeten,

rob
Re: New to 3d printing - Concept Phone [message #28791 is a reply to message #28174 ] Thu, 09 June 2011 03:54 UTC Go to previous message
avatar christopherlowe  is currently offline christopherlowe
Go to my shop
cool looking phone you got there!

i assume this is just a prototype and you are not worried about the inside. then you can print in plastic- you are going to loose all color. to capture what you are seeing with the color shapeways has a color printer and you will need to generate a texture map and send all of the parts into them zipped up.

please visit my blog at...
http://chrisshopofmodels.blogspot.com

Previous Topic:New and Need Direction
Next Topic:Wings

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.