Home » Community » Work in progress » $350 for one thing??
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
$350 for one thing?? [message #24696] Thu, 10 March 2011 01:09 UTC Go to next message
avatar phephq  is currently offline phephq
Go to all my models
I uploaded my first model today. Its a small handle for use on a project I've got at home.

To be made from steel, shapeways is telling me the cost would be around $350, though the total volume of the shape (NOT including the fact that the piece is full of holes) is less than 3.5 cubic centimeters

I was under the impression that it would cost $10-$11 per cm^3

I'm guessing that there is something wrong with my file, as the image shows up as a small handle with a large amount of space around it.

any suggestions?

thanks

Re: $350 for one thing?? [message #24697 is a reply to message #24696 ] Thu, 10 March 2011 04:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
I took a look at your model. It is actually 39.17cm3 and not 3.5cm3. Maybe you got your scale wrong?

For the rest your model looks fine to me.

Best,

Robert
Re: $350 for one thing?? [message #24699 is a reply to message #24697 ] Thu, 10 March 2011 06:00 UTC Go to previous message
avatar phephq  is currently offline phephq
Go to all my models
Yes, I'd thought that might've been the problem, but originally, the dimensions were roughly .333cm x 1.2cm x 12cm....

As I wrote the last few numbers down, I realized the unites had been swapped. For some reason I must have mixed something up in that department - otherwise the similarity between these incorrect dimensions and the real ones are eerily similar

Thanks for your help!

Previous Topic:Newbie issue
Next Topic:Sea Chess