Home »  » 3D Applications » [FIXED] Garbled model in Shapeways render
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
[FIXED] Garbled model in Shapeways render [message #24437] Fri, 04 March 2011 04:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar torus2  is currently offline torus2
Go to my shop
My model, a pair of steampunk-style goggles, when uploaded, appears messed up in the 2d view.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/221755/steampunk_goggles.html

There appears to be all sorts of excess geometry which does not exist in my model. What's going on here? I re-downloaded, and checked it for anomalies- it is perfectly manifold, normals are correctly oriented.

Please help! I need to finish this urgently.

Thanks in advance

attached is an image of the Shapeways render

[Updated on: Fri, 04 March 2011 06:29 UTC]

Re: Garbled/b0rked model in Shapeways render [message #24438 is a reply to message #24437 ] Fri, 04 March 2011 05:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi,

Looks like mesh medic found some weird geometries and tried to repair them.

Could there be any tiny holes not watertight?

If not, send service and email when you upload letting them know what is going on, they may be able to fix it..

Cheers

Duann
Re: Garbled/b0rked model in Shapeways render [message #24439 is a reply to message #24438 ] Fri, 04 March 2011 05:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I'm sorry, I'm not clear on what you're telling me to do :\

Who should I contact?

I did not check the 'automatically fix my model' box on upload, so why did it mess with it at all?

The mesh appears to be completely manifold, although I have used intersecting volumes. Could this be the issue? It hasn't been an issue in the past.

Thank you for your quick reply!

[Updated on: Fri, 04 March 2011 05:33 UTC]

Re: Garbled/b0rked model in Shapeways render [message #24440 is a reply to message #24439 ] Fri, 04 March 2011 06:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Well, I fixed it. Turns out the issue was that two volumes came too close to sharing a face (basically z-fighting). I made them more discreet, and it worked.

Presumably Shapeways' boolean operations couldn't deal with faces in plane with each other.

Thanks anyway!

I hope this thing isn't too fragile to be printed!
Re: Garbled/b0rked model in Shapeways render [message #24443 is a reply to message #24440 ] Fri, 04 March 2011 08:51 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
cool, good luck with the goggles.

If you have any further issues contact service(at)shapeways.com

cheers

Duann Scott

Previous Topic:Empty output
Next Topic:Minature ~2 cm version of yourself: possible?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.