Home » Community » Introductions » Hello from HellJumper!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hello from HellJumper! [message #24431] Fri, 04 March 2011 02:32 UTC Go to next message
avatar HellJumper777  is currently offline HellJumper777
Go to all my models
Howdy,

I go by HellJumper. I've been modeling as a hobby for a while now, and I just recently found out about this website! I plan on 3D printing out a model as a birthday present for a brother of mine.

It's nice to be here!
Re: Hello from HellJumper! [message #24432 is a reply to message #24431 ] Fri, 04 March 2011 02:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
Awesome, welcome, enjoy.....
Re: Hello from HellJumper! [message #24433 is a reply to message #24432 ] Fri, 04 March 2011 03:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I was wondering. I just tried uploading a model and everything seemed to work fine, except the smoothing. When I uploaded the .x3d the smoothing groups seemed to have disappeared. Do you have any suggestions on what to do?
Re: Hello from HellJumper! [message #24444 is a reply to message #24433 ] Fri, 04 March 2011 09:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi HellJumper,

3D printers print without any smoothing, what you send in is what gets printed so you'll need to make your models smooth by increasing the number of faces (triangles) whilst trying to stay within the 500k triangle limit. Aiming for triangle sizes less than the minimum detail for a material is a good rule of thumb... this will also help to minimize 'stepping' on smooth curved edges.

Paul
Re: Hello from HellJumper! [message #24465 is a reply to message #24444 ] Sat, 05 March 2011 00:19 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Ah... This makes much more sense. I simply forgot that smoothing only affects how lighting hits the object rather than changing the actually tris. Haha, now I feel slightly dumb!

Thanks, though!

Previous Topic:Hi from OZ
Next Topic:Hi Everyone

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.