It's here; it's awesome.

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by bvicarious, Oct 29, 2008.

1. bvicarious
    bvicarious Member
    Well, after quite a bit of travel time my first character print arrived. It was packaged nicely between two egg crate foam pieces and nothing was damaged.

Here's the design page: https://www.shapeways.com/model/5794/nu.html

Here's a closeup showing the layers put down by the process (click for huge version):
    [​IMG]

You can see the thinner parts transmit more light:
    [​IMG]

On top of a light globe, you can see the interesting light transmission properties: [​IMG]

Same here:
    [​IMG]

So you have a sense of the scale:
    [​IMG]

A few things to note. I hollowed out the model to keep costs down, and was asked by the shapeways staff to add a hole somewhere to remove the support material. I made a hole, but told them to not worry about support removal since I plan on using the print to make a mold anyway.

So the support material is still in there, and it gives the object a nice amount of weight to it! I really thought it was going to be a light, brittle object so I was pleasantly surprised when I picked it up.

I don't know if the support material is the same stuff as the primary material. It looks the same, just uncured or whatever. The whole thing reminds me of the rubber super bouncy balls you'd get out of a quarter machine. I'm not going to throw my Nu at the ground to find out where the similarities end, however.

Removal hole:
    [​IMG]

It's hard to tell if the entire thing is filled with support material. The arms and legs look less filled than the body, which feels like a solid mass.

Oh, and the model stands freely on its own, which is a big relief. It leans back slightly, but all the weight is easily supported.

I really like the transparent detail material. In natural lighting, it has a toon shader-like effect to it. I stuck an LED into the removal hole, and although it didn't illuminate the entire figure, it looked neat enough that I might design some things with that in mind.

2. joris
    joris Member
    Looks great dude!

One thing to remember is that if you leave the support material in it for the Transparent Detail models it wil indeed get "heft" and weight but that this causes the model to become yellow-ish.

This is something to consider if you would want to have it as a finsihed model.

Joris

3. 27028_deleted
    27028_deleted Member
    Looks good, send me a pic of the mold....two-part or one part? I'd do a 2-part myself because you risk ruining the original on a 1-piece.
    I'd love to see this guy in pink or real day-glo colours. It'd be a winner on the vinyl market with bent arms.