Home » Support » 3D Printing » Multipart Model
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Multipart Model [message #1795] Tue, 28 October 2008 19:17 UTC Go to next message
avatar jimmac  is currently offline jimmac
Go to all my models
I haven't even printed my first static model yet, but started wondering how feasible it is to do multi-part object that would be assembled after printing, allowing some motion.

Would something like the click-on mechanism depicted on the attached image be possible with the default white strong & flexible material? Or should I simply have the joint done by adding some space in the model so the printer would actually print the two parts interconnected?

The model in question is this robot -- http://www.shapeways.com/model/7817/dister_small_hollow.html

Re: Multipart Model [message #1796 is a reply to message #1795 ] Tue, 28 October 2008 21:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WetMorgoth  is currently offline WetMorgoth
Go to all my models
Either option is quite feasible to do. Use disconnected parts if you want to be able to assemble/disassemble the model at any point. Use the single model with air gaps if you know you never want to pull it apart.

The nice thing about 3D printing is that it is possible to make shapes that you can't with any other production methods. If you can imagine it, you can print it.
Re: Multipart Model [message #1797 is a reply to message #1795 ] Wed, 29 October 2008 00:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dalhimar  is currently offline Dalhimar
Go to my shop
I agree, it depends on what you want to do. If you want it to stay together until you take it apart the clip idea is good, but if you want a bit more permanent solution use the second with slightly varying hole+rod size.
Re: Multipart Model [message #1806 is a reply to message #1795 ] Wed, 29 October 2008 12:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jimmac  is currently offline jimmac
Go to all my models
Thanks for the answers guys, I'll try to take advantage of the magical 3D printing and do it in one piece Smile
Re: Multipart Model [message #1891 is a reply to message #1795 ] Wed, 05 November 2008 11:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Xcapee  is currently offline Xcapee
Go to all my models
If printing interconnected parts, what is the minimum gap required? Is it the detail level? or finer?

If I put a rod in a cylinder as a sleeved hinge, I want it tight fitting but free to move. If I stick to gaps of 0.5mm (detail level in WSF) I have 1mm "play" in the hinge. That seems a lot. Wil smaller gaps be fused?

Anyone had experience with this?
Re: Multipart Model [message #1894 is a reply to message #1891 ] Wed, 05 November 2008 18:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WetMorgoth  is currently offline WetMorgoth
Go to all my models
Right now I believe our minimum tolerance is 0.1mm. Anything less than that will be fused by our backend processing. At 0.1mm you are at minimum printer resolution - some printing methods cause a rough surface to happen just because of the layered approach to printing. If you have gears and so forth that require a non-binding surface to function, I feel that you'd want to keep gaps above 0.25mm to be safe.
Re: Multipart Model [message #1895 is a reply to message #1795 ] Wed, 05 November 2008 19:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Xcapee  is currently offline Xcapee
Go to all my models
Thanks - that's a very practical answer Smile
Re: Multipart Model [message #2059 is a reply to message #1895 ] Fri, 21 November 2008 19:00 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
Sorry for this news ...

I printed a ball and socket, where the ball had a .5 mm clearance between itself and the socket. In the Strong White and Flexible material, the ball was fused to the socket. It was not fused in the White Detail material.

See $50 experiment within this topic for more info.

-Whystler

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/

Previous Topic:Empty Spaces
Next Topic:Support centimeters as a unit option when printing?