Goblin and a friend

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 28396_deleted, Feb 27, 2011.

1. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    This arrived today - the Goblin.
    The character is from WOW and can be downloaded from here

first some mug shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Basically as i describe here - my research was how to morph simple cube models such as the ones i use into an organic form while retaining the texture in its place , no smudging no artifacts then finally loading it to a sculpting software and use the texture itself as a reference guide to add 3D details, curves, bumps, inflate areas (check out the muscles...) or use other features such as smudge, blur or even project a portion of another texture onto the model (such as the eyes) etc..

[​IMG]

The concept is simple - either sculpt an organic model from scratch or use your 3D modeling software to stuck up simple cubes, rectangles and other primitives one on another to form a skeleton model - one which you then refine and smooth either using Sketchup Sandbox (terrain/mesh manipulation) / the "Subdivide and Smooth" plugin or use MeshLab's filters for variouse surface tasks including smoothing.

Now you can sculpt .
    The easy way.

I'm no sculptor yet in a matter of few hours i was able to use the inflate brush, draw curves , add bumps , carve facial hair , enhance cheek bones, nose , add fingernails etc.. etc ... as you can see in the end result.

Tip: if you're having issues with your texture not showing right on Shapeways preview here is a workaround - load your model into the new MeshLab 1.3.0 - Click on Filters --> Texture --> Texture to Vertex Color - this will "bake" your texture colors onto the surface of your model so you don't need the texture file anymore.
    Save as WRL and upload it to Shapeways. (better zip it first)

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    The goblin looks great!

And thank you for sharing your methods too [​IMG]

3. Kaetemi
    Kaetemi Member
    They're not cube models, they're called low poly models. Cube modeling is a style of modeling.

4. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    The Goblin after one spray coat of lacquer. (not to make it too shiny)

In the sun

[​IMG]

Indoors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]