Home » Support » 3D Applications » Hollow object after UV-mapping with Blender is not hollow any longer
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hollow object after UV-mapping with Blender is not hollow any longer [message #24263] Fri, 25 February 2011 21:14 UTC Go to next message
avatar fingerless  is currently offline fingerless
Go to my shop
Hello!
I was preparing a hollow cube (4x4x4 cm) in Blender. When I uploaded it as STL the Shapeways servers did consider it as hollow giving it a volume of 33 cm3.

However, when I did a UV-mapping with JPG images and uploaded it as VRML97 (zipped with image files) the server returned a value of 64cm3, which is a volume of a solid cube of that size. All other parameters were as before, only UVmaps were added.

I played with various ways of making a hollow object but every time I apply UVmaps tha volume jumps to that of a solid object.

Do you possibly know why this is happening and how can I overcome this obstacle?

Many thanks for help!

[Updated on: Fri, 25 February 2011 21:15 UTC]

Re: Hollow object after UV-mapping with Blender is not hollow any longer [message #24264 is a reply to message #24263 ] Fri, 25 February 2011 21:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Is there a throu hole? or is it just a hollow cube? If it's just a hollow cube, than the VRML is acting properly and the STL is not (or at least not as it has been said to be working) If there is a hole then vice versa. The software should detect any geometry without and escape hole and get rid of it.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Hollow object after UV-mapping with Blender is not hollow any longer [message #24265 is a reply to message #24264 ] Fri, 25 February 2011 21:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi, Youknowwho4eva
Yes, I forgot to mention - there is a hole in that cube.
Best,

Re: Hollow object after UV-mapping with Blender is not hollow any longer [message #24275 is a reply to message #24265 ] Sat, 26 February 2011 12:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I don't know how Blender applies UV maps (i don't get on with blender), but I just used your hollow cube model imported into Wing3D, applied a UV map and uploaded as a VRML, volume is 33.15cc with 4cm sides - looks like the issue might be with Blender.
Re: Hollow object after UV-mapping with Blender is not hollow any longer [message #24278 is a reply to message #24275 ] Sat, 26 February 2011 14:24 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
stop4stuff,
Thanks a lot! This was a very good experiment you made. I will try sometng else than blender for UVmapping
Cheers,

Previous Topic:VRML, sizing and scaling
Next Topic:Empty output

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.