Home » Support » 3D Applications » Hollow object after UV-mapping with Blender is not hollow any longer
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hollow object after UV-mapping with Blender is not hollow any longer [message #24263] Fri, 25 February 2011 21:14 UTC Go to next message
avatar fingerless  is currently offline fingerless
Go to my shop
Hello!
I was preparing a hollow cube (4x4x4 cm) in Blender. When I uploaded it as STL the Shapeways servers did consider it as hollow giving it a volume of 33 cm3.

However, when I did a UV-mapping with JPG images and uploaded it as VRML97 (zipped with image files) the server returned a value of 64cm3, which is a volume of a solid cube of that size. All other parameters were as before, only UVmaps were added.

I played with various ways of making a hollow object but every time I apply UVmaps tha volume jumps to that of a solid object.

Do you possibly know why this is happening and how can I overcome this obstacle?

Many thanks for help!

[Updated on: Fri, 25 February 2011 21:15 UTC]

Re: Hollow object after UV-mapping with Blender is not hollow any longer [message #24264 is a reply to message #24263 ] Fri, 25 February 2011 21:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Is there a throu hole? or is it just a hollow cube? If it's just a hollow cube, than the VRML is acting properly and the STL is not (or at least not as it has been said to be working) If there is a hole then vice versa. The software should detect any geometry without and escape hole and get rid of it.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Hollow object after UV-mapping with Blender is not hollow any longer [message #24265 is a reply to message #24264 ] Fri, 25 February 2011 21:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi, Youknowwho4eva
Yes, I forgot to mention - there is a hole in that cube.
Best,

Re: Hollow object after UV-mapping with Blender is not hollow any longer [message #24275 is a reply to message #24265 ] Sat, 26 February 2011 12:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
I don't know how Blender applies UV maps (i don't get on with blender), but I just used your hollow cube model imported into Wing3D, applied a UV map and uploaded as a VRML, volume is 33.15cc with 4cm sides - looks like the issue might be with Blender.
Re: Hollow object after UV-mapping with Blender is not hollow any longer [message #24278 is a reply to message #24275 ] Sat, 26 February 2011 14:24 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
stop4stuff,
Thanks a lot! This was a very good experiment you made. I will try sometng else than blender for UVmapping
Cheers,

Previous Topic:VRML, sizing and scaling
Next Topic:Empty output