Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Printing » New to Shapeways. Curious about the best way to print multi-component designs
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
New to Shapeways. Curious about the best way to print multi-component designs [message #23684] Thu, 10 February 2011 18:19 UTC Go to next message
avatar aluminumpork  is currently offline aluminumpork
Go to all my models
Hello all, I'm just about ready to print my first design with Shapeways and am curious about how multi-component designs are handled.

For instance, I have a design which consists of a base plate and a cover that will screw down to the top of the base plate. I've modeled these two pieces within the same model file.

Should I extract each of them separately to their own model files and upload them individually, then order all of them at once? Will Shapeways intelligently print my order all at the same time? (or should that even matter to me?)

What if I kept both components in the same model file, but kept them physically separated? Would Shapeways even accept the model?

Please excuse my newbiness.

Thanks!
Re: New to Shapeways. Curious about the best way to print multi-component designs [message #23685 is a reply to message #23684 ] Thu, 10 February 2011 18:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Keep them in the same model, some materials have startup costs and volume discounts. So it would be less expensive to do it in one file. As long as it's under the polygon limit, and will fit in the bounding box.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: New to Shapeways. Curious about the best way to print multi-component designs [message #23686 is a reply to message #23685 ] Thu, 10 February 2011 19:02 UTC Go to previous message
avatar aluminumpork  is currently offline aluminumpork
Go to all my models
Thanks! I appreciate it.

Previous Topic:WSF spacing to avoid fusing
Next Topic:Backlit facia

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.