Celtic Cross - customizable

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Celtic3d, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Celtic3d
    Celtic3d Active Member
    I modelled this Celtic Cross with Celtic knot-work panels on the front and reverse. I wanted to make the cross as small as I could while still picking up the detail in the knotwork. I also wanted to add customisation options to the front panel of the base section and text along the front edge of the base. As a final touch, I chose Polished Metallic Plastic as the material for a test print, thinking that the grey color would best match a stone look.

I am really happy with the result, the details have turned out crisp and sharp, the custom logo and text look good but best of all is the similarity the material has to granite with the aluminium powder catching the light in the same way real granite does in the sun.

The reason I am getting so excited about the similarity to granite is that Aberdeen is famous for having the majority of it's buildings and almost all its public and historic buildings and monuments built from grey granite. Aberdeen is known as the "Granite City" or sometimes the "Silver City" due to the sparking buildings on the rare occasion the sun shines. I see a whole city of 3d modelling opportunities open up.

CrossOnSill-og.jpg

CelticCrossInHand.jpg

See the Celtic Cross in my Shapeways Shop or on my Celtic3d site.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    FullFrameDesign likes this.
  2. katkinkead
    katkinkead Well-Known Member
    Wow! this is really beautiful, you did a great job capturing the details in the celtic knot. Also, love the material choice, it really is reflective of granite. There's a certain weight to the piece that makes it really satisfying.

Great work. Love to see alumide... it's a great material, would love to see what else you're working on!

3. Celtic3d
    Celtic3d Active Member
    Thank you.

I am definitely going to be using more of this material, it has a beautiful finish.