Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Printing » WSF spacing to avoid fusing
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
WSF spacing to avoid fusing [message #23651] Thu, 10 February 2011 09:16 UTC Go to next message
avatar tebee  is currently offline tebee
Go to my shop
If I wanted to design something in small section WSF with a small zig-zag section in it to give extra flexibility and act like a tiny spring how much clearance would I need between the zig-zags to avoid them merging together?
Re: WSF spacing to avoid fusing [message #23653 is a reply to message #23651 ] Thu, 10 February 2011 10:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar underitall  is currently offline underitall
Go to all my models
Hello.
I think it's about 0.7 or 0.6mm, but people have had success with 0.5mm.
I had something 0.4mm, and it fused, I did half expect it to, so it wasn't a problem.
I'd say stick to 0.7mm, and you should be fine, but see what others have to say.
Tom.
Re: WSF spacing to avoid fusing [message #23654 is a reply to message #23651 ] Thu, 10 February 2011 10:49 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I had success with 0.4mm (large ring spacing) and 0.22mm (small ring spacing) on my half persian 4 in 1 chain maille sampler - though there is some build up of material on the small rings where they would have been nearest whilst being printed.
http://www.stop4stuff.com/shapeways/chain-maille/images/hp4in1-large-and-small-rings-scale-sml.jpg

I do think that successful non-fusing spacing also depends upon the shape of the seperated faces.

Previous Topic:Question regarding printing small parts
Next Topic:New to Shapeways. Curious about the best way to print multi-component designs

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.