Home » Support » 3D Printing » WSF spacing to avoid fusing
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
WSF spacing to avoid fusing [message #23651] Thu, 10 February 2011 09:16 UTC Go to next message
avatar tebee  is currently offline tebee
Go to my shop
If I wanted to design something in small section WSF with a small zig-zag section in it to give extra flexibility and act like a tiny spring how much clearance would I need between the zig-zags to avoid them merging together?
Re: WSF spacing to avoid fusing [message #23653 is a reply to message #23651 ] Thu, 10 February 2011 10:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar underitall  is currently offline underitall
Go to all my models
Hello.
I think it's about 0.7 or 0.6mm, but people have had success with 0.5mm.
I had something 0.4mm, and it fused, I did half expect it to, so it wasn't a problem.
I'd say stick to 0.7mm, and you should be fine, but see what others have to say.
Tom.
Re: WSF spacing to avoid fusing [message #23654 is a reply to message #23651 ] Thu, 10 February 2011 10:49 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
I had success with 0.4mm (large ring spacing) and 0.22mm (small ring spacing) on my half persian 4 in 1 chain maille sampler - though there is some build up of material on the small rings where they would have been nearest whilst being printed.
http://www.stop4stuff.com/shapeways/chain-maille/images/hp4in1-large-and-small-rings-scale-sml.jpg

I do think that successful non-fusing spacing also depends upon the shape of the seperated faces.

Previous Topic:Question regarding printing small parts
Next Topic:New to Shapeways. Curious about the best way to print multi-component designs