Combination Heart

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 35653_deleted, Feb 7, 2011.

1. 35653_deleted
    35653_deleted Member
    After my Combination Medallion came out so well, I was looking forward to seeing my next order! It was delayed a day for some reason, but that just made it even more awesome when it came! UPS handed me my Combination Heart today!

apartlores.JPG

Just like its steampunk counterpart, the unique pattern of the Combination Heart is generated by a blender script, your initials are added, it's hand-checked, then uploaded to Shapeways. The only necklaces that will fit together are the set you order for you and your sweetie!

togetherlores.JPG

The Combination Heart, Medallion, and other cool lovey-dovey necklace pairs are available in the Couples Jewelry section of my shop.

2. 35653_deleted
    35653_deleted Member
    Since this is the first model I've gotten in White Detail, I decided to try the fabled tea dying on it. And, I must say, it turned out fabulous!

teadyedapartlores.JPG

I just stuck it in a lukewarm cup of strong Chai tea for about 8 hours, and after a quick pat dry, voila! The tea dying makes it look almost like aged wood. The color really took in areas with many layers, making it look like wood grain on the sides. The flatter areas came out lighter, bringing out the detail of the letters and rings.

And, now the model smells strongly of spices. I might choose a less aromatic tea next time. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  3. 31665_deleted
    31665_deleted Member
    It looks GORGEOUS!!!!

4. chaitanyak
    chaitanyak Member
    wow!..
    should try one in metal..
    or maybe half black half white!
    half silver half gold!
    :)

5. 35653_deleted
    35653_deleted Member
    Right now we are a little hesitant to try it in metal for a few reasons:

1. We're not sure the clearances will work. It's pretty tight in the plastics...

2. I'm a little hesitant to order it in metal because of the recent confusion over wall thickness, so I'm waiting for more explicit design rules to be set up. I saw the recent blog post about metal design rules, but I'm still mulling it over in my brain as to whether this design meets them or not.

3. It's pretty expensive in metal. One set of this in metal equals the price of a whole order of smaller models. Until I can build up the success of my shop through smaller orders, I just don't have the spare cash to get it in metal.

Of course, none of those restrictions prevent me from trying different colors like you said... :D Maybe I will order one in WSF and finally get around to playing with different WSF dyeing methods.