Home » Support » 3D Printing » Food-Safe Materials
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Food-Safe Materials [message #1706] Sat, 25 October 2008 07:13 UTC Go to next message
avatar Sovereign  is currently offline Sovereign
Go to all my models
I'm just curious as to whether food-safe, microwave-safe and dishwasher-safe materials will be offered at some point. I can see some potential for custom mugs...

You know you're dedicated when your girlfriend's Christmas present is going to come from Shapeways (assuming I can get those annoying STL errors to go away).
Re: Food-Safe Materials [message #1709 is a reply to message #1706 ] Sat, 25 October 2008 11:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar PeterHermans  is currently offline PeterHermans
Go to my shop
Actually, the Polyamide (PA) material that is used for Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) (= White, Strong & Flexible) was originally designed for use in dishwashers.

Subsequently you can put PA parts in your dishwasher to clean them and I was told it is safe enough to even eat it. I dont think the microwave should not be a problem either.

P.S. Why does this page mess up my keyboard layout? Seems to have changed to UK layout. Incredibly annoying! I´m using firefox.
Re: Food-Safe Materials [message #1723 is a reply to message #1709 ] Sun, 26 October 2008 04:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Sovereign  is currently offline Sovereign
Go to all my models
Does this mean drinking out of a cup made from this material would be safe?
Re: Food-Safe Materials [message #1727 is a reply to message #1723 ] Sun, 26 October 2008 11:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
I work here
Sovereign,

good question! We cannot claim it is safe yet. We have to certify not only the materials, but also the production process and we are not there yet. However this is certainly something that has our attention and we want to do.

regards,
Peter
Re: Food-Safe Materials [message #1768 is a reply to message #1709 ] Mon, 27 October 2008 19:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TomZ  is currently offline TomZ
Go to my shop
Peter Hermans wrote on Sat, 25 October 2008 07:19

I dont think the microwave should not be a problem either.

SLS uses a laser to melt the plastic together. I don't think it will survive that much heat.

Drinking from it is probably safe, but it hasn't been tested so there is no guarantee.
Re: Food-Safe Materials [message #1772 is a reply to message #1706 ] Mon, 27 October 2008 23:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dalhimar  is currently offline Dalhimar
Go to my shop
Just because i have been testing this stuff with different chemicals, and my previous knowledge of this type of material, it has a very low chance of causing a reaction, i would say 3% of people at most
This is because it is a compound closely related to that of Nylon, which is used in the food industry. So if it is not safe then, i guess i shall need a doctor soon =P
Even though there is a good chance that it will not cause any sort of reaction, i would advise everyone out there that plans to make anything that has to do with edibles, wait for the certification or find one on this material before .
Re: Food-Safe Materials [message #3477 is a reply to message #1706 ] Mon, 23 March 2009 11:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar frankbuss  is currently offline frankbuss
Go to my shop
Any news on the certification? Maybe using it as a mug and drinking hot tea or caffee from it is not 100% safe, because of soluble substances introduced during the manufacturing process, but what about an eggcup, bracelet or biscuit case?
Re: Food-Safe Materials [message #3498 is a reply to message #3477 ] Tue, 24 March 2009 22:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi Frank,

We are not there yet, but we are working on it.

It is still too far away to give any indication on when we can deliver.

Best regards,

Robert
Re: Food-Safe Materials [message #5051 is a reply to message #3498 ] Sat, 27 June 2009 19:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar yek401  is currently offline yek401
Go to all my models
What of the food safety of the metal process?

--Jordan
Re: Food-Safe Materials [message #5068 is a reply to message #5051 ] Mon, 29 June 2009 12:17 UTC Go to previous message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi Jordan,

Same thing. We are working on it, but it is quite a complex matter. We need to this right for obvious reasons.

Best regards,

Robert

Previous Topic:Question on “Minimum Detail”
Next Topic:Ceramic Printing