Combination Medallion and NQB: 1

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 35653_deleted, Feb 4, 2011.

1. 35653_deleted
    35653_deleted Member
    My Combination Medallion has arrived! Each pair is unique, the halves generated randomly by a Blender script with your initials on them, hand-checked to make sure it looks good, then printed and shipped straight to your door!
    1lores.JPG

In alumide, the halves fit snugly without being impossible to get apart. In this prototype, the letters are extruded slightly instead of inset, as they are supposed to be, so I had to paint them a little to get them to show up in the pictures. That's what prototypes are for, though, to work out the kinks, so rest assured that your final product will have them properly set.
    2lores.JPG

Also in this order was the first of my Not Quite Broken series, Pixel. In the words of my boyfriend, it looks almost like a half-solved puzzle, just like love is.
    regularimagelores.JPG

I don't have as much to say about this one because it turned out perfectly, but I did get a chance to try a little artistic experiment with this one. It is incredibly hard to photograph WSF and a mirror without everything getting washed out, especially if all you own is a cheesy point-and-shoot camera. However, patience paid off, and it looks pretty good.
    artisticlores.JPG

I have another order with my Combination Heart set to arrive on Monday, so expect more customized loveydoveyness then!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  2. 31665_deleted
    31665_deleted Member
    It turned out really good! I was worried the alumide version wouldnt fit, but it did! i'm happy :D.

3. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Congrats you two! Those both look great. The Combination Medallion in particular is an attention-grabber.

Was curious, what made you decide to create it in Alumide?

4. 31665_deleted
    31665_deleted Member
    Well, i thought such a steampunk-ish design would look better in a metallic material, and since stainless is too unreliable for our tastes, we settled for alumide. And it really looks cool!

5. 35653_deleted
    35653_deleted Member
    That, and we simply couldn't afford it in Stainless yet, not to mention the recent confusion over Stainless printing rules. Either way, Alumide is a nice compromise between the look of metal and the inexpensiveness of plastic. Plus, it's got a character all it's own.