Home »  » 3D Printing » Mold-ready prints
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Mold-ready prints [message #23282] Tue, 01 February 2011 07:34 UTC Go to next message
avatar jpidgeon  is currently offline jpidgeon
Go to all my models
So I'm wondering if any of the SW print materials are better for mold-making than others. Are some usable as a master for a silicone mold right out of the box, or would some post-print work (sanding, etc) be necessary regardless of what I used? -- Jeff
Re: Mold-ready prints [message #23324 is a reply to message #23282 ] Tue, 01 February 2011 22:26 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Klink  is currently offline Klink
Go to my shop
I have my master parts printed in SWF. I give the part a good coat of primer filler and maybe a light sanding if needed. If you decide to prime or not just make sure you use a good mold release as the surface is a bit porous and the rubber may stick.

I have made a number of RTV molds this way and have had no issues using Alumilite mold making and casting supplies and Price-Driscoll's Ultra 4 Polyester mold release.

Cheers

Previous Topic:largest size / texture example?
Next Topic:Smoothest material

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.