Home » Support » 3D Applications » COLLADA export from Sketchup rendered improperly
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
COLLADA export from Sketchup rendered improperly [message #23206] Sun, 30 January 2011 20:55 UTC Go to next message
avatar kevinturnermovie  is currently offline kevinturnermovie
Go to all my models
The model looks fine to me, but I can't check it for holes because AutoTrans 3D decided everything is a hole. I upload the .dae file to Shapeways, it says it is successful, and then I check the rendering it gave me:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/207615/abbc_logo.html?gid=ug6 9053

The other image is what it should look like. I downloaded the model from the website and imported it into Sketchup, and it still looks fine. Any ideas on how to fix it, or does it not need to be fixed and the preview engine just messed up?
Re: COLLADA export from Sketchup rendered improperly [message #23224 is a reply to message #23206 ] Mon, 31 January 2011 13:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JamieMcBride  is currently offline JamieMcBride
Go to all my models
Hello KTM, I'm learning Sketchup too and would be interested to see what the problem is.

Have you tried exporting as .dae from Sketchup and opening it in Meshlab (free download)? I think the general consensus is "if it looks OK in Meshlab, it'll look OK on Shapeways and print out". There maybe further overall scaling issues to address though, when saved in Meshlab.

Feel free to attach the .skp file to a forum post and I'll download it my end and give you a second opinion in Sketchup. I have to be honest and say that I can't quite work out what the design should look like, based on the 3D preview and the JPG you've uploaded in your profile. I understand if you want to keep your file away from the public domain though.

Jamie McBride
Re: COLLADA export from Sketchup rendered improperly [message #23347 is a reply to message #23224 ] Wed, 02 February 2011 09:19 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi kevinturnermovie,

if you can't figure it out, feel free to mail that file to me and I'll take a look at it. My address is bart@shapeways.com.

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways

Previous Topic:Simple Wavefront obj to STL converter.
Next Topic:Fixed and hollowed to 1.5mm

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.