Home » Shapeways » Official Announcements » Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22776] Tue, 18 January 2011 20:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar barrys  is currently offline barrys
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi all,

we had a site update this morning. It gave some unexpected problems at first with the model upload, but we fixed those later this day. We released the following feature:

Markup per Material
As Bart already announced in his newsletter, we extended the new markup and material editor page to be able to set markups per material now. You can also set the markup per material on the normal product details page, by selecting the material and entering the markup.

Besides that we had several bugfixes:

- Changing the countries of the billing address on the checkout page did not work.

- The 3D viewer popup did not work anymore for model owners due to the new description editor of the last release.

- There were some rounding issues for prices incl VAT in the gallery. They sometimes didn't match the correct price on the product details page.

- The left column on the markup and material page was not scrollable, which wasn't very userfriendly, so we made them scrollable.
Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22778 is a reply to message #22776 ] Tue, 18 January 2011 20:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Great - thanks ! Smile

http://www.3Dizingof.com
icon6.gif  Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22783 is a reply to message #22776 ] Tue, 18 January 2011 20:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Awesome! Many many many thanks! Very Happy

Cheers,

Stijn

[Updated on: Tue, 18 January 2011 20:36 UTC]

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22802 is a reply to message #22776 ] Wed, 19 January 2011 08:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Kaetemi  is currently offline Kaetemi
Go to my shop
barrys wrote on Tue, 18 January 2011 20:05

Markup per Material
As Bart already announced in his newsletter, we extended the new markup and material editor page to be able to set markups per material now. You can also set the markup per material on the normal product details page, by selecting the material and entering the markup.

Ehh, can we get a checkbox too that says "same markup for all materials" or something in the product details page, because it's a bit of work to manually have to type in a markup for every material.
And if Shapeways suddenly adds a new material, what markup will that have then? I hope it doesn't default new materials to 0...
In the product details page it seems I have to hit save for every markup per material I want to change, too.
Also, I can't easily make use of the "To all" feature in the markup inventory page when I have WSF disabled.
Perhaps a textbox for "minimum markup for all materials for this item" which automatically brings all markups for the item to at least that amount? That could be a friendly solution for setting the markup across all materials.

[Updated on: Wed, 19 January 2011 08:47 UTC]

Kaetemi
Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22811 is a reply to message #22802 ] Wed, 19 January 2011 12:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MichielCornelissen  is currently offline MichielCornelissen
Go to my shop
The material editor looks great, going to have a play - thanks! One solution is to not automatically add new materials, or keep the mark-up in price classes; if a new material gets added in that class, it gets the same mark-up.

www.michielcornelissen.com
twitter: @michiel_ontwerp
Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22813 is a reply to message #22811 ] Wed, 19 January 2011 12:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I was able to do the mark-up per material on the product page (nice!), but not on the inventory page with the overview. Is that intentional?

Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22814 is a reply to message #22813 ] Wed, 19 January 2011 12:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
Michiel Cornelissen wrote on Wed, 19 January 2011 12:49

I was able to do the mark-up per material on the product page (nice!), but not on the inventory page with the overview. Is that intentional?

No, it should definately work on the inventory page. What was exactly the problem?
- did it not save?
- couldn't you edit the markup?
Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22815 is a reply to message #22814 ] Wed, 19 January 2011 13:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I could edit, but once I left the page it didn't save. Or did I miss a 'save' button or something?

Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22816 is a reply to message #22815 ] Wed, 19 January 2011 13:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
top (far) right of page Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 19 January 2011 13:15 UTC]

Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22817 is a reply to message #22815 ] Wed, 19 January 2011 13:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
There is indeed a save button on the top right of your screen. (Next to cancel)
It needs to be pressed for the markup to be saved.
Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22819 is a reply to message #22817 ] Wed, 19 January 2011 14:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ok, that was well hidden. What happens, I work on a pretty big screen, with a full screen window. The material matrix is in a relatively small box on the left; the cancel and save are waaay over on the other side, top right... which is why I missed it.

Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22825 is a reply to message #22819 ] Wed, 19 January 2011 15:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar gibell  is currently offline gibell
Go to my shop
Can we just ignore this new page and the markup will stay as before? I would rather not deal with setting different markups by material ... Smile
Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22826 is a reply to message #22825 ] Wed, 19 January 2011 15:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I think there's a 'use for all' button already. And I'm really happy with the mark-up per materials! Smile

Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22827 is a reply to message #22826 ] Wed, 19 January 2011 15:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Kaetemi  is currently offline Kaetemi
Go to my shop
Michiel Cornelissen wrote on Wed, 19 January 2011 15:04

I think there's a 'use for all' button already. And I'm really happy with the mark-up per materials! Smile

Yup, but only in the full inventory page, not in the item detail page. And it doesn't work when WSF is disabled.
Setting all the markups in the item detail page is not fun.
I'd just like a textbox where I can type in the minimum markup for all materials for an item (and that would also serve as the default markup when new materials are added), that would save a bit of work. Wink

[Updated on: Wed, 19 January 2011 15:06 UTC]

Kaetemi
Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22830 is a reply to message #22827 ] Wed, 19 January 2011 15:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Perhaps a button/checkbox on the product page, apply for all?

Also is it possible to enlarge (based on window size) the inventory layout for big screens like Michiel noted?

Cheers,

Stijn

Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22835 is a reply to message #22776 ] Wed, 19 January 2011 18:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
I'd still like a turn on/off button per item so I don't have to uncheck all materials. Even better if there were 2 buttons for sale/not for sale and visible/not visible. Also would like it if the save didn't kick you back to the shop editor. I'd like to periodically save not do them all and save or periodically save and have to go back in after every save. Definitely moving in the right direction though.

Oh and to be able to set the sale price instead of the mark-up. I think a lot of people wanted individual mark-ups so that they were all priced the same, and days like today I don't want to do math Razz

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22837 is a reply to message #22835 ] Wed, 19 January 2011 19:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ok, let me chip in with a wish from my side as well. For some reason, maybe because I'm in the Netherlands, I see the price inc VAT in the inventory matrix. However, I've decided I will tune my prices to the most stable price seen by the largest group of people, which I believe will the price in dollars, ex VAT. If I understand correctly, most territories outside of the Netherlands won't ever pay the VAT, right?
So, it would save me a lot of math if I would see that (price in dollar ex VAT) as a default in the inventory matrix. Makes sense?

Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22839 is a reply to message #22837 ] Wed, 19 January 2011 20:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
That totally makes sense Michiel. I'd like this feature too...
Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22845 is a reply to message #22776 ] Wed, 19 January 2011 22:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
I haven't cheked yet, does the price per material include an 'all materials percentage markup' for all materials?
Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22846 is a reply to message #22837 ] Wed, 19 January 2011 22:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Michiel Cornelissen wrote on Wed, 19 January 2011 19:53

Ok, let me chip in with a wish from my side as well. For some reason, maybe because I'm in the Netherlands, I see the price inc VAT in the inventory matrix. However, I've decided I will tune my prices to the most stable price seen by the largest group of people, which I believe will the price in dollars, ex VAT. If I understand correctly, most territories outside of the Netherlands won't ever pay the VAT, right?
So, it would save me a lot of math if I would see that (price in dollar ex VAT) as a default in the inventory matrix. Makes sense?

I just checked that - what you can do is clear all cookies then choose USA in the country field/flag while you are logged in to shapeways.

now look at the price markup details on any of your design page - you'll see the $ value , your markup and the total price excluding any vat.

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22847 is a reply to message #22776 ] Wed, 19 January 2011 23:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous Coward
Great feedback here! Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I will review them closely and work them into my feature roadmap to integrate and update the feature.

Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22856 is a reply to message #22846 ] Thu, 20 January 2011 07:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks Dizingof! Will give that a try.

Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22939 is a reply to message #22776 ] Sun, 23 January 2011 17:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Uploading a new model is now a pain in the rear.

Here's why;
Upload model... fine
Set materials... fine
Set markup... not fine, on the model page, you now have to set each and every material markup.
Going to the inventory page to set the markup for the model means waiting for the page to load all models, scrolling through to find the model, then setting the markup... saving changes take you back to your shop edit page.

If anyone has not set the markup per material and just set the one markup thinking the markup is set across the board... they're thinking wrongly and possibly losing out.
Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22965 is a reply to message #22939 ] Mon, 24 January 2011 13:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
@stop4stuff: that's a good point, I'll forward it to Ben.

Thanks!

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22967 is a reply to message #22965 ] Mon, 24 January 2011 16:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
I know it's been mentioned before, but this is a perfect example of why a percentage based markup would be a wonderful thing.. enter a single % and apply it to all materials.. then go thru material by material if you wish and tweak the prices.

It should be pretty easy to code for.. if you enter say 20% in the markup box, detect the % and then do the calcs.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22972 is a reply to message #22967 ] Mon, 24 January 2011 18:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
stonysmith wrote on Mon, 24 January 2011 16:44

I know it's been mentioned before, but this is a perfect example of why a percentage based markup would be a wonderful thing.. enter a single % and apply it to all materials.. then go thru material by material if you wish and tweak the prices.

It should be pretty easy to code for.. if you enter say 20% in the markup box, detect the % and then do the calcs.

+1 to adding a % markup (for all or just selected materials) http://www.shapeways.com/forum/images/message_icons/icon14.gif

Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #22982 is a reply to message #22972 ] Mon, 24 January 2011 20:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kontor_apart  is currently offline kontor_apart
Go to my shop
+1.000 for getting away with markups and changing to fixed sale price.
Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #23053 is a reply to message #22776 ] Wed, 26 January 2011 16:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Why is the material matrix so ridiculously small?
(Give the developers some 24" screens please!)

Two minute with firebug I got this :
index.php?t=getfile&id=6797&private=0

(censored Wink)

I just removed the weird fixed pixel (wtf?) size constraint on the matrix.

Please add an option to filter out non-public models.

I can only move products up one row at a time?
Please add buttons for top and eight rows up etc.

Please make the save button so, it does not leave the page.

And please take the row principle from the material matrix, make it vertical and implement that on the product page.
Hidden mark-ups on the product page leads to errors, we might miss an entry.

Cheers,

Stijn

• Attachment: BigScreen.jpg
    (Size: 212.80KB, Downloaded 278 time(s))

Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #23065 is a reply to message #23053 ] Wed, 26 January 2011 20:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous Coward
Virtox: it looks like a clear improvement to remove the fixed pixel width per your suggestion. Is that CSS the only thing you changed in Firebug to get the screenshot you shared? If you can email me the CSS you modified, I'll take a look at modifying that ASAP.

There's a number of other suggestions here that I want to implement, and I really like the ideas for percentage markups and fixed sales prices...
Re: Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011 [message #23127 is a reply to message #22776 ] Thu, 27 January 2011 22:56 UTC Go to previous message
Anonymous Coward
Stijn:

Thanks for the feedback on the CSS. The first thing I'll be able to implement is to increase the fixed width of the material matrix to about 960px. We tried to set it as a percentage but that interfered with some other things, so for now I'll make this partial fix first.

I think it will take a couple of iterations to get this page working as smoothly as I'd like, so rest assured more changes are coming!

-Ben

Previous Topic:Shapeways customer service department closed on 13 May 2010.
Next Topic:Shapeways site update of January 28th 2011

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.