Shapeways site update of January 18th 2011

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by barrys, Jan 18, 2011.

1. barrys
    barrys Shapeways Employee Dev Team
    Hi all,

we had a site update this morning. It gave some unexpected problems at first with the model upload, but we fixed those later this day. We released the following feature:

Markup per Material
    As Bart already announced in his newsletter, we extended the new markup and material editor page to be able to set markups per material now. You can also set the markup per material on the normal product details page, by selecting the material and entering the markup.

Besides that we had several bugfixes:

- Changing the countries of the billing address on the checkout page did not work.

- The 3D viewer popup did not work anymore for model owners due to the new description editor of the last release.

- There were some rounding issues for prices incl VAT in the gallery. They sometimes didn't match the correct price on the product details page.

- The left column on the markup and material page was not scrollable, which wasn't very userfriendly, so we made them scrollable.

2. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Great - thanks ! :)

3. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Awesome! Many many many thanks! :D

Cheers,

Stijn

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  4. Kaetemi
    Kaetemi Member
    Ehh, can we get a checkbox too that says "same markup for all materials" or something in the product details page, because it's a bit of work to manually have to type in a markup for every material.
    And if Shapeways suddenly adds a new material, what markup will that have then? I hope it doesn't default new materials to 0...
    In the product details page it seems I have to hit save for every markup per material I want to change, too.
    Also, I can't easily make use of the "To all" feature in the markup inventory page when I have WSF disabled.
    Perhaps a textbox for "minimum markup for all materials for this item" which automatically brings all markups for the item to at least that amount? That could be a friendly solution for setting the markup across all materials.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  5. The material editor looks great, going to have a play - thanks! One solution is to not automatically add new materials, or keep the mark-up in price classes; if a new material gets added in that class, it gets the same mark-up.

6. I was able to do the mark-up per material on the product page (nice!), but not on the inventory page with the overview. Is that intentional?

7. barrys
    No, it should definately work on the inventory page. What was exactly the problem?
    - did it not save?
    - couldn't you edit the markup?

8. I could edit, but once I left the page it didn't save. Or did I miss a 'save' button or something?

9. virtox
    top (far) right of page :)

10. barrys
    There is indeed a save button on the top right of your screen. (Next to cancel)
    It needs to be pressed for the markup to be saved.

11. Ok, that was well hidden. What happens, I work on a pretty big screen, with a full screen window. The material matrix is in a relatively small box on the left; the cancel and save are waaay over on the other side, top right... which is why I missed it.

12. gibell
    gibell Well-Known Member
    Can we just ignore this new page and the markup will stay as before? I would rather not deal with setting different markups by material ... :)

13. I think there's a 'use for all' button already. And I'm really happy with the mark-up per materials! :)

14. Kaetemi
    Kaetemi Member
    Yup, but only in the full inventory page, not in the item detail page. And it doesn't work when WSF is disabled.
    Setting all the markups in the item detail page is not fun.
    I'd just like a textbox where I can type in the minimum markup for all materials for an item (and that would also serve as the default markup when new materials are added), that would save a bit of work. ;)

15. virtox
    Perhaps a button/checkbox on the product page, apply for all?

Also is it possible to enlarge (based on window size) the inventory layout for big screens like Michiel noted?

Cheers,

Stijn

16. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I'd still like a turn on/off button per item so I don't have to uncheck all materials. Even better if there were 2 buttons for sale/not for sale and visible/not visible. Also would like it if the save didn't kick you back to the shop editor. I'd like to periodically save not do them all and save or periodically save and have to go back in after every save. Definitely moving in the right direction though.

Oh and to be able to set the sale price instead of the mark-up. I think a lot of people wanted individual mark-ups so that they were all priced the same, and days like today I don't want to do math :p

17. Ok, let me chip in with a wish from my side as well. For some reason, maybe because I'm in the Netherlands, I see the price inc VAT in the inventory matrix. However, I've decided I will tune my prices to the most stable price seen by the largest group of people, which I believe will the price in dollars, ex VAT. If I understand correctly, most territories outside of the Netherlands won't ever pay the VAT, right?
    So, it would save me a lot of math if I would see that (price in dollar ex VAT) as a default in the inventory matrix. Makes sense?

18. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    That totally makes sense Michiel. I'd like this feature too...

19. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    I haven't cheked yet, does the price per material include an 'all materials percentage markup' for all materials?

20. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    I just checked that - what you can do is clear all cookies then choose USA in the country field/flag while you are logged in to shapeways.

now look at the price markup details on any of your design page - you'll see the $ value , your markup and the total price excluding any vat.