Home » Support » 3D Printing » Backlit facia
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon5.gif  Backlit facia [message #22728] Tue, 18 January 2011 06:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar xxilim  is currently offline xxilim
Go to all my models
I'm curious to know what the translucent properties of the strong and white material is.

I want to have parts of this model backlit with green LEDs while the rest will be painted black.

Would the min recommended thinness of strong and while allow any light trough?

Or is there a better way to do this?
Re: Backlit facia [message #22734 is a reply to message #22728 ] Tue, 18 January 2011 07:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Kaetemi  is currently offline Kaetemi
Go to my shop
It leaves light trough at 1mm from what I can test here, maybe someone else can confirm for thicker surfaces.
Have you looked into using transparent detail too?

Kaetemi
Re: Backlit facia [message #22775 is a reply to message #22728 ] Tue, 18 January 2011 20:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
My Flugel Horn and Baritone Horn WSF models have 1mm wall thickness on the flared ends, here they are sat on 5mm white LEDs.

http://www.stop4stuff.com/shapeways/instruments/models/baritone-and-flugel-horns-lit-up.jpg

Smile

Re: Backlit facia [message #22780 is a reply to message #22728 ] Tue, 18 January 2011 20:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
hey they look great !!

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: Backlit facia [message #23810 is a reply to message #22780 ] Mon, 14 February 2011 11:50 UTC Go to previous message
avatar xxilim  is currently offline xxilim
Go to all my models
Really late reply sorry!

Looks awesome, thanks.

I'm thinking my best option is to have the model painted then have the text laser etched through the paint to reveal the strong and white material.

Does Strong and white respond well to laser etching?

Previous Topic:New to Shapeways. Curious about the best way to print multi-component designs
Next Topic:colour vrml - something went wrong :(

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.