Buying other peoples stuff

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by bvicarious, Oct 19, 2008.

1. bvicarious
    bvicarious Member
    If you order a print of someone else's object, does it inform that user that someone bought it? I think this would be a nice feature and add to the openness of the site, to know how much demand there is for a particular thing.

While I'm throwing out suggestions, I'd also like to see the number of comments an object has from the gallery/my designs pages - and a notification of any new comments for the user if someone left one on one of their objects.

-bryan

2. joris
    joris Member
    bvicarious,

we are working on something like that at the moment. To tell people what is popular.

But, would you like to be the one to see it? Or would you like to show it to everyone?

Where would you like to see the number of comments appear? In your my designs page?

I really like the notification thing, I'll see if we can make that for you.

Joris

3. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    I would prefer to know privately, the number of sales my object has had.

Since I would also like to see a situation where we can place a small markup on our objects (even just $1), and therefore would start to derive income from the objects, I would prefer any competitors out there not to see how popular my objects are.

It sounds kind of crappy yes, but we are small and cooperative right now. When the Anshe Chungs of the world come here (and they will), then I will feel the need to protect any popularity I may have aquired.

-Whystler

4. bvicarious
    bvicarious Member
    I guess if the object is available for everyone to order, the names of people who ordered it should be available to all as well. If there are privacy concerns, maybe put the number of orders on the public page, and only the owner of the object can see the names. But really, I think the more open it is, the better for the community.

For the comments, on the gallery or my designs page it could simply be placed at the bottom:

[ Picture ]
    Trackball Assembly
    Date: 19 Oct 2008
    Rating:( X X X X x )(4)
    Comments: 2 (1 New!)

I have 6 pages of objects on my designs page, so clicking through each one to see if I got any new comments would be annoying. If you are familiar with flickr.com, they display a list of recent activity when you log in.

It could be as simple as putting something like this:

(10/19)
    * Joris commented on Trackball Assembly
    * andre.bois commented on Mama Ghost

with the user name and object name linked to the respective pages, between "My Designs" and "My Favorites"

5. pete
    pete Shapeways Employee CEO
    Good idea, thanks!

We will add it to our list of improvements.

Keep m coming!

Peter