Home » Support » 3D Printing » Whiteness of Full colour Sandstone
Search Search  
 () 2 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Whiteness of Full colour Sandstone [message #22663] Sat, 15 January 2011 17:22 UTC Go to next message
avatar Dotsan  is currently offline Dotsan
Go to my shop
Hi, I was wondering why the full colour sandstone is a sandy shade and not a white as it used to be. In the picture you can see the difference. The feet on the figure which was printed about a year ago are a brilliant white but my latest model is a sandy colour. The white looks much better, can Shapeways make the full colour sandstone white again?
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5043/5357648630_77b76e5ab6.jpg
Picture 003 by Dot San, on Flickr

www.dotsan.com
Re: Whiteness of Full colour Sandstone [message #22869 is a reply to message #22663 ] Thu, 20 January 2011 21:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Bumping this, why has the full colour changed to yellowish base?
V

www.dotsan.com
Re: Whiteness of Full colour Sandstone [message #22870 is a reply to message #22869 ] Thu, 20 January 2011 22:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Kaetemi  is currently offline Kaetemi
Go to my shop
Color hasn't changed since I first ordered in color, so it's been this way for months at least.

http://dl.kaetemi.be/shapeways/offwhite.jpg

Kaetemi
Re: Whiteness of Full colour Sandstone [message #22871 is a reply to message #22870 ] Thu, 20 January 2011 22:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
When it was first introduced it was a brilliant white, but something has changed
this is what is advertised "We will finish it with XLA Form Infusion, a new impregnating technique which makes your model durable and keeps the colors vivid" but it's not what we are getting, can someone at Shapeways please clear this up, can we go back to the base material being a brilliant white?

www.dotsan.com
Re: Whiteness of Full colour Sandstone [message #22872 is a reply to message #22871 ] Fri, 21 January 2011 00:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WillLaPuerta  is currently offline WillLaPuerta
Go to my shop
Must be very recent, because the things I ordered in late November were white where they were meant to be.

"I am just a humble servant with a message here for you" Reaper Media on Facebook
Re: Whiteness of Full colour Sandstone [message #22874 is a reply to message #22663 ] Fri, 21 January 2011 01:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
"White" is random pale bone to obvious yellow tinted, maybe some people get the prints with a perfect xlaForm batch and near white result, or the product darkens as it's used, so only first use approaches white. The photos in Hoodie 5cm, Love Bunny, Police Boat & Hibs Hoodie product pages show different grades of white, but the surface below them is always whiter. Is this hoodie the same than the one in the pages? Best photos to compare this issue are like Kaetemi's, with a good white reference (SW label?) to discard lighting issues, whitebalance settings or even personal perception problems.

Edit: typo.

[Updated on: Sat, 22 January 2011 01:37 UTC]

Re: Whiteness of Full colour Sandstone [message #22880 is a reply to message #22871 ] Fri, 21 January 2011 07:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
VirtualV wrote on Thu, 20 January 2011 22:43

When it was first introduced it was a brilliant white, but something has changed
this is what is advertised "We will finish it with XLA Form Infusion, a new impregnating technique which makes your model durable and keeps the colors vivid" but it's not what we are getting, can someone at Shapeways please clear this up, can we go back to the base material being a brilliant white?

"vivid" is a marketing term that means: heavily oversaturated, darker than intended, and totally off-white Wink

Kaetemi
Re: Whiteness of Full colour Sandstone [message #22902 is a reply to message #22663 ] Fri, 21 January 2011 18:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
I have noticed some batch-to-batch variation in whiteness based on the temperature and duration of the heating during the curing process. Your sample is definitely yellower than I'd expect. I don't use XLAform but I suspect a similar effect might be happening here.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: Whiteness of Full colour Sandstone [message #22903 is a reply to message #22663 ] Fri, 21 January 2011 18:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks aeron203, that is very informative.
V

www.dotsan.com
Re: Whiteness of Full colour Sandstone [message #23229 is a reply to message #22903 ] Mon, 31 January 2011 13:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Well, it'd be nice if Shapeways could do some research towards having a secondary finish that we can choose from that retains a bright whiteness level.
One of the comments I heard most yesterday was "the colors look washed out" (with the most often heard comment being "looks like candy" followed by "ohhh how cute"). Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 31 January 2011 13:57 UTC]

Kaetemi
Re: Whiteness of Full colour Sandstone [message #23232 is a reply to message #23229 ] Mon, 31 January 2011 14:06 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Can anyone from Shapeways, please give us feedback and solutions to the issues regarding whiteness of full colour mentioned in this thread?
Cheers
VV

www.dotsan.com

Previous Topic:Is the thin wall test manual or automatic?
Next Topic:largest size / texture example?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.