Home » Support » 3D Printing » Best material to mimic aluminum with knurling?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Best material to mimic aluminum with knurling? [message #22512] Wed, 12 January 2011 14:45 UTC
avatar sihnongallery  is currently offline sihnongallery
Go to my shop
Hi all,

I've been thinking of trying Shapeways for a project soon as was wondering what the best material would be to print this item:

http://www.urbanchant.com/temp/dish.jpg

It's a dish, 8.5cm wide with 2mm thick walls and a ring of knurling around it. The final finish will mimic the look of machined aluminum. It will need to be able to stand up against a little bit of handling from time to time but it doesn't have to be completely rigid. I'm familiar with polyurethane casting resins and such but I have no idea how WSF, alumite or the other printing materials compare. Also, I do need a fair bit of smoothness so I was thinking that I might be able to undercoat with some spray filler to fill any pores if you all think that would work. I have already ruled out stainless due to the cost.

Thanks!
//Joe

Previous Topic:Overlapping Geometry
Next Topic:Heart breaks too heavy

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.