Home » Support » 3D Printing » Problems with Detail
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Problems with Detail [message #22221] Thu, 06 January 2011 13:50 UTC Go to next message
avatar reecejames  is currently offline reecejames
Go to my shop
Hello,

I'm trying to get this model to be printable and having some issues with the detail. The gear teeth appear to be the problem, though they are only 0.4mm in height, they are being counted as walls. The numbers pictured are the thickness of the teeth at their thinest point.
Confused

index.php?t=getfile&id=6526&private=0

As per the thin walls tutorial, it appears these are allowable as long as they do not extend out more than 0.7 from the wall's surface.

Anyone able to help? Cheers.

Reece James
Integration Engineer
Re: Problems with Detail [message #22251 is a reply to message #22221 ] Thu, 06 January 2011 22:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mark_Kendrick  is currently offline Mark_Kendrick
Go to my shop
I'm sorry I can't help you, but would like to order your model in 1:43 scale Very Happy
A traction or portable engine has been on my list of to-do's for a while now. Great modelling!
Re: Problems with Detail [message #22254 is a reply to message #22251 ] Fri, 07 January 2011 01:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks Mark!
I'm going to start doing requests for models though keeping it to smaller sizes 1:87-1:150. Trying my hand at 1:148 currently and it's fiddly.

I'm still trying to work out what classifies as detail and what doesn't. In this case I've got the equivalent of a detailed ridge running along the length of a wall. As per the thin walls tutorial, it's acceptable due to not extending out from the wall greater than the minimum wall thickness. Can anyone explain this better?

Depending on how this is determined, it drastically affects how items are modeled, especially where it comes to things such as eaves. (1.0 eaves as opposed to ~0.3 is huge in a model 18mm high)

I also just realised, in the above error check render, the rear wheel is filled in. Crying or Very Sad Wasn't like that in the last error check, nor on the preview.

index.php?t=getfile&id=6527&private=0

Reece James
Integration Engineer
Re: Problems with Detail [message #22280 is a reply to message #22221 ] Fri, 07 January 2011 13:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
It's hard to tell in the image, but it appears the teeth on the gears are just rectangles? Perhaps it would help if you tapered them or added a radius to the bases of them? to save polygons you could use a chamfer instead of a radius.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Problems with Detail [message #22282 is a reply to message #22221 ] Fri, 07 January 2011 14:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I had the same annoying issue - it seems shapeways has new employees..(Welcome!) who consider surface details as walls.. Confused

You should contact Kevin from support to help you out on this and he will probably approve the model for printing.

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: Problems with Detail [message #22298 is a reply to message #22280 ] Fri, 07 January 2011 21:58 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 13:27

It's hard to tell in the image, but it appears the teeth on the gears are just rectangles? Perhaps it would help if you tapered them or added a radius to the bases of them?

I'm using the lightwave gear generation tool, with a boolean for the hole and a triple to keep it all nice. Adding a radius on that smaller geometry has to be asking for more problems.

index.php?t=getfile&id=6532&private=0

Thanks dizingof I'll give kevin a try. Smile

Reece James
Integration Engineer

Previous Topic:plain non-colour sandstone
Next Topic:Not printable

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.