Home » Community » Introductions » Greetings from an NYC techie!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Greetings from an NYC techie! [message #22059] Mon, 03 January 2011 07:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar ana  is currently offline ana
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi everyone!

My name is Ana. I work with tech startups in New York, and I've had a fascination with 3D printing ever since I first learned what it was. It's amazing that everyday people can use Shapeways to create beautiful, useful things, and I can't wait to get started.

Before getting into anything more advanced, I'd like to start off by customizing one of the co-creator templates. Do any of you more experienced folks have tips or tricks to share about choosing a template?

Thanks, in advance. Smile

Community Manager | Shapeways

Re: Greetings from an NYC techie! [message #22060 is a reply to message #22059 ] Mon, 03 January 2011 09:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar artur83  is currently offline artur83
Go to my shop
1. Welcome.

2. Rule of thumb is to trust more the products that have real photos, which means they were already printed, which means it's safe to assume that they can be printed and the person who created them is happy with their design.

3. People active on forums, with a lot of posts are also probably a better bet, because it shows they're open and communicative.

I'm partial to earrings and ring templates made byShapeways, but that's because I helped creating them. Smile
Re: Greetings from an NYC techie! [message #22061 is a reply to message #22059 ] Mon, 03 January 2011 12:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi Ana,

Welcome to Shapeways!!!!

As Artur mentioned the earrings are a great way to start!!!
Re: Greetings from an NYC techie! [message #22064 is a reply to message #22059 ] Mon, 03 January 2011 13:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Ana,

Welcome.

I liked that quote by Steve Jobs!

Why not co-create your self a set of iPhone Apps Coasters in full color?

Have Fun Smile

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: Greetings from an NYC techie! [message #22068 is a reply to message #22059 ] Mon, 03 January 2011 13:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I just turned off all my co-creators Crying or Very Sad but I'm always here if you need help personalizing something, making something, learning something. I'm working on a new co-creator potentially. Have to order a sample first because it has to fit something else first, and will work better when silver comes back. But I think the ladies will love it.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Greetings from an NYC techie! [message #22078 is a reply to message #22059 ] Mon, 03 January 2011 16:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
Welcome.

As someone who has been authoring co-creations for well over a year, I can tell you that the most satisfying works on my end are those that involve a special request. I make it a point to fulfill virtually any request possible because I am helping those people create something that is so unique to them that it didn't fit within the boundaries of my original expectations. This usually leads to extra work for me, but I also benefit because, after a few dozen of these curve-balls, the creation evolves into a much more flexible design that is darn-near bulletproof.

Odd characters, special fonts, unusual sizes or proportions, extra parts. Whatever it is the customer wants is one more improvement to add to a design collaboration.

So, not every shop owner may feel the way I do, but I suggest finding a model with a theme that inspires you, and look for an opportunity to associate it with something in your own life. Unify them with your own creative input, and do not be shy about bending rules and making requests. Remember you're not interacting with a computer but with a real person, and any human designer can run circles around the most sophisticated software out there today when it comes to understanding your desires.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: Greetings from an NYC techie! [message #22099 is a reply to message #22078 ] Tue, 04 January 2011 06:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
Thank you guys! I'm kind of blown away by your welcoming and insightful responses. Smile That ring and some geeky coasters sound like a great start.

aaron203 -- beautifully put. That really helps put the whole nature of the process into perspective.

So how did you all get into this?

Re: Greetings from an NYC techie! [message #22125 is a reply to message #22099 ] Tue, 04 January 2011 17:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
Smile

I'm glad I could help articulate some of what makes this site so compelling to me. People arrive here from all sorts of backgrounds. Often the initial connection is with some interest or hobby like jewelery, puzzles, scale models or sculpture. Some normally create with traditional crafts and are totally new to this, and some have experience with related fields like 3D modeling for games.

Personally, I'm a professional industrial designer and I'm very passionate about design and the freedom this technology provides. I get a lot of satisfaction from creating whatever I want without having to worry about the normal considerations that would limit me in a normal product development scenario. As someone involved with startups I'm sure you can appreciate the independence associated with a lack of bureaucracy. I feel so strongly about this that I want to help other people have the same experience...so here I am.

Here, you can share your odd, whimsical ideas and they fit right in. Things become a lot more expressive because they don't have to be a one-size-fits-all thing that everybody likes. Best of all, there is a very active community that makes Shapeways a hot-bed of experimentation and inspiration. No matter what you are interested in making, you will find someone to help you make it happen, and it can be in your hands in a couple of weeks.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: Greetings from an NYC techie! [message #22143 is a reply to message #22125 ] Wed, 05 January 2011 07:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
I can't imagine how awesome it must be coming at it from industrial design. You get to mix your professional skills with work that's artful and fun. Even without that background, I love the freedom made by all this crafting. It's the same thrill as working in startups, but with something you can actually hold in your hand. So excited about the possibilities!

[Updated on: Wed, 05 January 2011 07:29 UTC] by Moderator

Re: Greetings from an NYC techie! [message #22210 is a reply to message #22143 ] Thu, 06 January 2011 04:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar neuralfirings  is currently offline neuralfirings
Go to my shop
I'm new to this community as well. Actually, I hope to work on a ring for a friend. We're planning on getting her a ring with her signature as a birthday present. I'll be sure to send some pictures once I get it.

I've also fiddled around with Google Sketchup. It's way easier than all the other software out there.. but still has its own learning curve. It took me like 3 hours to design a stick figure!

Let me know what you end up making!
Re: Greetings from an NYC techie! [message #22213 is a reply to message #22210 ] Thu, 06 January 2011 06:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
Noobs welcoming noobs! Smile

Thanks for the tip on Google Sketchup. That design sounds fascinating, a little hard to visualize though. Keep me posted on the end result, I'd like to see it.

Re: Greetings from an NYC techie! [message #22222 is a reply to message #22059 ] Thu, 06 January 2011 13:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Sounds a bit like my co-creator that I may or may not ever release Rolling Eyes . Mine also may or may not be designed to fit a gem as well. 8 working days till I get the test model.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Greetings from an NYC techie! [message #22249 is a reply to message #22059 ] Thu, 06 January 2011 21:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous Coward
New York City is a great place to be! I hope we'll be able to start a local Meetup group soon, so we can all get together and learn from each other in-person.
Re: Greetings from an NYC techie! [message #22250 is a reply to message #22249 ] Thu, 06 January 2011 21:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Jettuh  is currently offline Jettuh
Go to my shop
wow,

another beautifull woman joins this great community!
enjoy your stay here!

and please show us what you've created once you made something!

[Updated on: Fri, 07 January 2011 11:26 UTC]

Re: Greetings from an NYC techie! [message #22286 is a reply to message #22250 ] Fri, 07 January 2011 16:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
lol you're too kind. Smile

Keep an eye out for a post from me about my first model in the "It Arrived!" section. Can't wait!

Re: Greetings from an NYC techie! [message #22393 is a reply to message #22286 ] Mon, 10 January 2011 09:41 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
anoemi wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 16:50

lol you're too kind. Smile

Better watch out for Jettuh - he has a thing for Shapeways women Wink

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways

Previous Topic:New from New York City
Next Topic:Hi there : D

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.