best software for crop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1186376_deleted, May 10, 2016.

1. I used 123d Catch to model a chair for a project but I was wondering what free program I could use to crop the rest of the model out (like the wall and sky)?

Thanks

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    You could use Meshmixer or Blender I generally use Blender because I use if for lots of things, but if you just editing scans, Meshmixer is probably the way to go.

3. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    You should be able to do it inside 123D too by doing a boolean operation. This is where you make something shaped like the part you want to get rid of and then move it so it intersects the main part and then subtract it. Like this.

The two that Youknowwho4eva are very good choices, just keep in mind that those two are polygonal in nature, whereas what you currently have in 123D is solid based. Consequently, if you were to export to a format like STL so that you could load it into either Blender or Meshmixer, you then won't be able to edit it very well if you load the STL back into 123D. Think of it sort of like a one way road.

Polygonal formats like STL, OBJ are what you need for 3D printing. Solid modeling software like 123D can export in polygonal format, but once that's done one hardly ever imports the polygonal model back into the solid modeling software because editing capability is greatly reduced. Well, that is unless you're using SpaceClaim, which is insane because it mostly doesn't care if the model is polygonal or solid based! :D

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    The OP used 123D Catch which uses a point cloud to generate a polygonal model ;-) I think in catch you can select non-connected bodies, maybe a laso sort of tool to delete background noise. I made a video today using blender to clean a Skanect model, which would be tools similar to what you'd need to do to a Catch model.

Note: I need to record sound for the video, and then a video wizard needs to make it pretty before it'll be public.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  5. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Oopsydayzers! I didn't see Catch in that sentence. *bonks head* :D