Home » Community » Work in progress » Dwarf Fighter
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Dwarf Fighter [message #21999] Thu, 30 December 2010 20:12 UTC Go to next message
avatar TurtlesAreCool  is currently offline TurtlesAreCool
Go to my shop
I am having some issues uploading this model to Shapeways. The model is failing the processing with the following error: "error while unifying: 17".

Does anyone know what causes this type of error? I'm afraid it might be due to the large number of overlapping objects I have used to create a scale mail effect. The stl is attached. See the image(s) in following post(s) for reference.

Re: Dwarf Fighter [message #22000 is a reply to message #21999 ] Thu, 30 December 2010 20:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Front view:
index.php?t=getfile&id=6478&private=0

• Attachment: 1-front.jpg
    (Size: 29.11KB, Downloaded 457 time(s))

Re: Dwarf Fighter [message #22001 is a reply to message #21999 ] Thu, 30 December 2010 20:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Left side:
index.php?t=getfile&id=6479&private=0

• Attachment: 2-left.jpg
    (Size: 31.42KB, Downloaded 441 time(s))

Re: Dwarf Fighter [message #22002 is a reply to message #21999 ] Thu, 30 December 2010 20:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Did you check the autofix button? I've opened in blender and meshlab. Meshlab says it's manifold. The model looks clean and everything. Not sure what caused the error. But I'll see if I can't find anything.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Dwarf Fighter [message #22003 is a reply to message #22002 ] Thu, 30 December 2010 21:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Thu, 30 December 2010 20:28

Did you check the autofix button? I've opened in blender and meshlab. Meshlab says it's manifold. The model looks clean and everything. Not sure what caused the error. But I'll see if I can't find anything.

Thanks for looking. I am not entirely sure what you mean by "autofix". On this upload attempt, I did check the box for fixing it manually if the upload fails. I checked for manifold in Blender before I exported to stl, and I imported in netfabb and fixed the issues that cropped up from the object export (flipped normals, a few holes, etc.)

Beyond that, can you explain what you mean by the "autofix button"?
Re: Dwarf Fighter [message #22004 is a reply to message #21999 ] Thu, 30 December 2010 21:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I'm thinking of opening a "Fix my damn STL " website Wink

I attach 2 stls - both fixed - one hollow with a wall thickness of 1.5 mm which saves you money. (you can scale it to a larger size)

Cheers

• Attachment: Archive.zip
    (Size: 10.97MB, Downloaded 56 time(s))

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: Dwarf Fighter [message #22005 is a reply to message #22004 ] Thu, 30 December 2010 22:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
dizingof wrote on Thu, 30 December 2010 21:42

I'm thinking of opening a "Fix my damn STL " website Wink

I attach 2 stls - both fixed - one hollow with a wall thickness of 1.5 mm which saves you money. (you can scale it to a larger size)

Cheers

Dizingof,

Thank you so much for the help. If you don't mind, I have a few questions (which should limit the need for this in the future). You say you fixed the STL - what was wrong? May I ask what method you used to hollow the model?

I have been pleased with Blender's "solidify" modifier, but I have found hollowing complex models like this incredibly difficult. I considered hollowing this, but chose not to due to the risk of being too fragile at the miniature size. My dancer is a bit fragile at the ankle, and that part is not hollow at all.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 December 2010 22:31 UTC]

Re: Dwarf Fighter [message #22006 is a reply to message #21999 ] Thu, 30 December 2010 23:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
It had the usual intersecting triangles/bad edges etc errors which i think MeshMedic should have fixed them for you easily or by checking the "fix my model manually" box.

Great design !

Cheers

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: Dwarf Fighter [message #22007 is a reply to message #22006 ] Thu, 30 December 2010 23:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
dizingof wrote on Thu, 30 December 2010 23:00

It had the usual intersecting triangles/bad edges etc errors which i think MeshMedic should have fixed them for you easily or by checking the "fix my model manually" box.

Great design !

Cheers

Well, I just got it to upload successfully, so what you did seems to have worked. The hollow did not work well, though. A hole was created in the back of the left leg. It looks like you may have used a boolean tool to "subtract" the inside of the model?

If I may ask, though, I really would like to know *what* you did to eliminate those edge errors. Did you use a particular tool? MeshMedic was unable to fix the errors, according to the notification e-mail.

I apologize for being insistent here - I just want to incorporate your knowledge so I don't have to bug other folks with my problems in the future.
Re: Dwarf Fighter [message #22062 is a reply to message #21999 ] Mon, 03 January 2011 13:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
"fix my model manually" That's what I meant by autofix.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Dwarf Fighter [message #24305 is a reply to message #21999 ] Mon, 28 February 2011 06:22 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Here are some (poor) images of the final painted result. Thanks to Dzingof for the assist! Very Happy

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=2430 4&#msg_24304

Previous Topic:Something missing?
Next Topic:Dice Templates

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.