Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Design » Need help hollowing a design
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Need help hollowing a design [message #1571] Wed, 15 October 2008 20:22 UTC Go to next message
avatar GregDDC  is currently offline GregDDC
Go to all my models
I have a design that I need "hollowed". It is currently too thick to be cost effective. If anyone would help me I would be very thankful. I don't possess the necessary skills or understanding of 3d modeling software to perform this task myself. The original design was made using Google SketchUp!

Thanks again.

greg johnson
GregDDC@gmail.com
Re: Need help hollowing a design [message #1596 is a reply to message #1571 ] Fri, 17 October 2008 03:12 UTC Go to previous message
avatar er1c  is currently offline er1c
Go to my shop
you can try using blender, which is open source & free
I did mine with blender as well, all the info/instructions I found on this forum

if I remember correctly:
export from google sketch as Google Earth 4 *.kmz file
change the file extension to *.zip
unzip and find the model file inside directory 'model' (a *.dae file)

install blender (might also need to install python to get the importer to work)
might also want to install meshlab and run to clean up the model / check for non-manifold edges

import dae file in blender
select object
-go into edit mode
del a few faces to make holes in out of the way spots so 'hollow' material can drain out
select all
mesh - scripts - solidify selection (close edges)
play around with the solidify value to get the right thickness
export file as collada dae file (or *.stl but I haven't been able to get that exported file to work)

I think there's also a tutorial on how to hollow out a model, in one of the recent blog entries:
http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/creating-hollow-objects

[Updated on: Fri, 17 October 2008 03:18 UTC]

http://er1c3dp.wordpress.com/

Previous Topic:Solidworks overloaded
Next Topic:units confusion

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.