how to paint or make SWF pink

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by MichielCornelissen, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Hi All,

I have this SWF piece here which I really, really would like to get pink (or maybe yellow or purple) for someone's 5th birthday... now, I've never done any experiments with dyeing myself, so I could really use some advice!

- I only have one of 'm, the birthday is in a few days, and I can't mess it up. Is it advisable to try or should I just leave it for now? (as in: better a clean white one, than a messed up black/brown/whatever)
    - if you advise me to try it, what is the best fail-safe way to get it pink? I don't have much in terms of equipment or workshops etc, so I would need to be able to do it in a sort of domestic setting.

Thanks very much for any help! Best, Michiel

2. 30575_deleted
    30575_deleted Member
    If the model isn't too intricate, painting can be an option...

Tamiya acrylic scale model colours work well on wsf. Humbrol acrylic and Humbrol enamel too, though the last has got a stronger smell and is slower to dry. A fine brush and and old newspapers to protect the underlying surface are recommended.

My advice: always try any new colouring method on a defective/scrap part made of the same material. This prevents a lot of disappointments !

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  3. euphy
    euphy Member
    fx2 is right of course about the trial on a scrap, easier said than done too though. Red food colouring takes ok on WSF I believe, but I use acid dyes (jacquard brand) to colour my pieces. Pink is a good colour to try since (in my own experience) a lot of stuff turns out pink when I try and dye it red! I'd have thought most stuff that is reddish will leave a pinkish stain on WSF.