Home » Community » Shapeways Shops » [Gallery ranking] photograph vs rendering
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
[Gallery ranking] photograph vs rendering [message #21824] Thu, 23 December 2010 12:01 UTC Go to next message
avatar fx2  is currently offline fx2
Go to my shop
A lot of designers are uploading photographs of the models they put up for sale. I think Shapeways should reward this effort by providing a better ranking in the gallery to items that display a real-life photograph instead of a rendering.

What do you think ?

[Updated on: Thu, 23 December 2010 12:07 UTC]

Re: [Gallery ranking] photograph vs rendering [message #21827 is a reply to message #21824 ] Thu, 23 December 2010 13:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
The problem with this and sorting by having pictures is renderings. It would take manual sorting to do it.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: [Gallery ranking] photograph vs rendering [message #21869 is a reply to message #21824 ] Fri, 24 December 2010 22:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jasolo  is currently offline jasolo
Go to my shop
Maybe the solution would be to detect the EXIF tags. I don't think that 3D programs put that info, but all photos from digital cameras have it. And there are php libraries to do that task. Well, you can always manipulate an image to put false EXIF tags, but then SW community would be the filter. For example, suppose that SW servers put automatically an icon/mark to indicate that an image is "real" after checking that it has EXIF tags. Then, if the author has cheated and the image is a render with false tags, then any user could contact to Service in order to remove the false tags from the image.

Sometimes, the absence of images doesn't mean that the model hasn't been printed, just a lazy author. So another idea would be to indicate if the model has been printed successfully once (only Shapeways could change that info).
Re: [Gallery ranking] photograph vs rendering [message #22224 is a reply to message #21869 ] Thu, 06 January 2011 14:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
jasolo wrote on Fri, 24 December 2010 22:56

Sometimes, the absence of images doesn't mean that the model hasn't been printed, just a lazy author. So another idea would be to indicate if the model has been printed successfully once (only Shapeways could change that info).

Yup that's me Razz

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: [Gallery ranking] photograph vs rendering [message #22299 is a reply to message #21824 ] Fri, 07 January 2011 23:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Nope - won't work. Manual sorting would be needed. I take my pic's with a digital camera and then edit in Photoshop. The saved image doesn't have the EXIF data (to my knowledge) and so it could just as easily be a rendering.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: [Gallery ranking] photograph vs rendering [message #22306 is a reply to message #22299 ] Fri, 07 January 2011 23:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jasolo  is currently offline jasolo
Go to my shop
lensman wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 23:12

The saved image doesn't have the EXIF data (to my knowledge) and so it could just as easily be a rendering.

Do you mean the image saved by Photoshop or the image showed by Shapeways? The last one doesn't have EXIF because is generated by the web server (gd-jpeg library?) and the process seems to remove the EXIF data. And for the first case, there should be an option in preferences. Anyway, all the images with EXIF won't need manual sorting, and for the new ones it would be OK to add an option when uploading it asking about its "realness". A similar checkbox could be added to the images uploaded in the past.
Re: [Gallery ranking] photograph vs rendering [message #22319 is a reply to message #22306 ] Sat, 08 January 2011 07:21 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
I agree with that: a checkbox asking if the uploaded image is a picture of the printed model of a computer generated image should do the job.

Previous Topic:larger images
Next Topic:Are you participating in trade shows?