How do I mass produce a 3D printed prototype component ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shaam, Apr 22, 2016.

1. shaam
    shaam Member
    Hi,
    I have a working 3D printed plastic component (Thanks to Shapeways!).
    Now I want to mass produce it (injection moulding?) as a product.
    How do I go about this?
    Any suggetions, advice or help is appreciated.

Regards,
    Shaam

2. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    Is your product injection moldable? Do you have draft angles, parting line, mold release engineered into the models? Two piece mold? 3 or more dies? any slides? Can you afford the engineering and tooling? What if your first production run was 25 grand in engineering and machining the mold with another 5 G's going towards 10K actual parts - the minimum order btw.

All of that is just to get you thinking. If you post in 3D Artist wanted or whatever that section is called I'm sure you'll get some action. Indicate that you are looking for someone familiar with designing for injection molding. Concurrently work with your prototype and lock in any patents, refine your business plan, get meetings going, maybe do a crowdsourced campaign - unless you are self funding, then you need only work on finding talent and resources, engineer types and production facilities, packaging, graphics and branding et all. Good luck! -Shea

3. ppoz
    ppoz Well-Known Member
    Protolabs does small batches of injection molded parts, as few as 25 units.

4. shaam
    shaam Member
    Hi Shea,
    Thank you very much for providing an indepth picture and posing the right questions!
    Since I've spent my captial towards the ongoing patent process for the component, I definitely require funding for manufacturing.
    I want to get the complete cost for the invovled processes before approaching crowdfunding sites. I'll post for consultants in the relevant forum category.
    Your post is very valuble to me and I really appreciate the help.

Regards,
    Shaam

5. shaam
    shaam Member
    Thank you for the reply.

Regards,
    Shaam

6. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    The easiest is to adjust the price so that Shapeways can make it for you, if it can be sold as a 3D printed product at the price point. Along that line is making it yourself by leasing or buying your own 3D printer.

Look and see if it can either be made by rotomolding or spin casting. Both of these production methods are attainable for those on a tight budget.

I have wondered before if it might be feasible to do DIY plastic injection using Shapeways aluminum to make the molds. Water cooling and heating could be easily incorporated given the nature of how easy it is to have inside blind holes with 3D printing. Seems one could make a plastic injection molding machine using a design that autonomously bolted together and unbolted using one or more super heavy duty impact wrenches.

7. shaam
    shaam Member
    Thank you for the reply UniverseBecoming! The 3D printed molds for the custom parts is a good idea and could reduce mold costs.

Regards,
    Shaam

8. Ray_Zhou
    Ray_Zhou Active Member
    Great to see what you are doing. Could learn a bit from you I think. Will go to crowdfunding somehow undermine your control over the product or affect the patent application?

9. Ray_Zhou
    Ray_Zhou Active Member
    This is really a nice way to use Shapeways. Great Idea!

10. Hi,

If you wanted to produce the parts in metal, we have the manufacturing capability to cast micro components in aluminium or brass.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Gordon