FUD Supports under miniature model rivets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AlanClogwyn, Apr 14, 2016.

1. AlanClogwyn
    AlanClogwyn Member
    Thinking out loud here, I make a lot if railway wagons, and the layeriness on FUD is quite good at representing wood grain, but the metal corner plates with their bolt heads are not so good as there is always support material under the rivet/bolt heads and this is difficult to clean up without taking out the rivet too.

At the moment they are drawn as simple cylinders - if I was to actually dome them or cone them, would that still require a layer of support material under them? It would be a lot better for me if that was the case.

Here is my latest model, a 4mm scale open wagon:

DSXT2342.jpg

and here is a close up of the corner plate, clearly showing the snail trail between bolt heads:

DSXT2342-2.jpg

I have had success in printing models as kits of parts, which seems to result in the sides being printed flat so no support is needed for the rivets like this little wagon, but that way the corner plates can't be made without an unsightly join. (In the case of this wagon, I used separate etched brass ones to hide the join between sides and end, but that gets very expensive!

BFI-DSXT2349.jpg

2. Andrewsimonthomas
    Andrewsimonthomas Well-Known Member
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  3. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    To be clear BHDA does use supports and unlike the waxy support of FUD (latter washed away) the BHDA supports are more stick and wall like (blasted and picked away). Perhaps it was suggested because it allows some overhang? As we all know the waxy support in FUD kinda jacks up the surface (usually nothing some sanding and primer won't cure) while the BHDA is imaged from the same resin and can leave a nasty artifact that may be difficult to cleanup depending on topology. I would run a test area, hopefully in the correct orientation (wink wink) before committing to a larger model.

I wish the multijet printers could print a 3rd material right at the boundary that eliminates the fud crud, or.. engineer a new support material that accomplishes the same. Imagine what that tech could be worth right now. Good luck, -Shea