Home » Support » 3D Design » Help on ring model
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Help on ring model [message #20679] Thu, 18 November 2010 05:46 UTC Go to next message
avatar jammin0  is currently offline jammin0
Go to all my models
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a ring model. I'm using sketchup and things were going ok until I tried to add the 3d text to my model. Sketchup doesn't seem to be the best program to do it but I don't have anything else.

I got it to the point where it looked ok but is missing a few faces. The mesh medic fixes that but breaks messes up a few of the letters.

I really need this for Christmas time so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I'll attach the .dae if anyone wants to take a look at it.

Update Re: Help on ring model [message #20768 is a reply to message #20679 ] Sat, 20 November 2010 06:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Ok, I had a buddy of mine look at it and clean up my model a ton. I'm still getting something weird after I upload it though. Everything looks great in the shapeways viewer except one of my letters disappears. The model looks good in meshlab, accutrans 3d and the 3ds max trial I just downloaded.

Anyone know what's going on? I'm wondering if it isn't just the way that shapeways is rendering it but I have my doubts. I think the mesh medic must be altering it in some way from something it is picking up.

Any help is so appreciated at this point.

• Attachment: ringyring.obj
    (Size: 7.33MB, Downloaded 66 time(s))

Re: Update Re: Help on ring model [message #20772 is a reply to message #20768 ] Sat, 20 November 2010 11:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I took a quick look, Accutrans reports mesh isn't watertight, I think the cause may be where the L and A overlap.. moving the A away from the L a bit might solve the issue.
Re: Update Re: Help on ring model [message #20776 is a reply to message #20772 ] Sat, 20 November 2010 14:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks for taking the time to respond. You were right on with your diagnosis. I don't know why I didn't see that but moving the A slightly fixes it when I upload it. Accutrans is still saying that it's not watertight but it uploads, do you think that means that mesh medic fixed any problems?

Thanks again for helping me out there.
Re: Help on ring model [message #20778 is a reply to message #20679 ] Sat, 20 November 2010 14:55 UTC Go to previous message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
You did a good job with sketchup - 2 things

1. download stl file importer/exporter plugin from here + more essentials/must have plug-ins:

http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php?f=323&t=16 909&sid=c3d1091c56fb337a5a940214540a284b

this plugin will enable you to export your model directly to STL format to upload to any other software and to shapeways..

2. Don't explode your groups and the fonts groups when you are about to export the model into STL file - if you do sketchup makes intersecting faces disappear... and you have to manually add them with Tools-> Utilities -> Create face..

so keep the groups as is, and let mesh medics fix things for you if needed. this way you wont have strange looking shapes after the fix.

i fixed the file for you and it looks ok on all letters , no missing faces.

the size is 76X77X19 mm? that's what i got from the OBJ file.

you also need to measure the wall thickness of the sword tip , it may be not printable

• Attachment: ringyring.stl
    (Size: 4.67MB, Downloaded 64 time(s))

http://www.3Dizingof.com

Previous Topic:scale issue?
Next Topic:Seeking advice on making old models ready for print

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.