QASHQAI Flip Key DIY

Discussion in 'Tips and How-tos' started by 40444_deleted, Nov 16, 2010.

1. 40444_deleted
    40444_deleted Member
    Flip Key (V4) for Nissan Qashqai

[​IMG]

• Parts needed:
    • Original Qashqai key
    • Top Shell
    • Bottom Shell
    • Flip key mechanics with uncut blade

Original Qashqai key:
    You already have this key, and it is the reason you are reading this page ;)
    [​IMG]

You can buy shell here at shapeways:
    https://www.shapeways.com/shops/be_on_edge

Top Shell

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  2. 40444_deleted
    40444_deleted Member
    Flip Key mechanics with virgin blade
    I have not found where to buy online only flip key mechanism. It is then necessary to buy a completely flip key as the necessary parts. We will use the screws, flip body, flip button and spring.
    The key, however, is quite comprehensive economic (a ten €). Do a search on ebay with the following words: "Nissan flip key"
    The key to buy must have one of this shapes:
    [​IMG]
    if u want to be sure it is compatible send me a PM with the link to the flip key you found and i will confirm about his compatibility.

Assembly instructions:

File PDF:
    (this instruction are related about my first version, but the procedure is the same)
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chro me=true&srcid=0B4C5irIVLNtGYTQ4Mzk2NTUtYTU0OS00YmI2LWJhN mMtNjE5YjM3ODJlNTM3&hl=en

Video instructions:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eQ53UQLAa4

Cutting the virgin blade
    incisione chiave.jpg
    The virgin key that comes with ebay shell will be probably 4 mm longer than the orginal key.
    V4 shells are modelled for original key dimensions so when you go to cut the virgin key at a shop you must tell to the operator to respect original size.

The material to remove is marked by red in the above image.

It is a quite simple work to do, just be sure to allign the virgin key sockets marked in orange with the ones that are in the original key.

Surface Finishing:

Material: White Strong & Flexible

Smothness:
    With this material there is some steps due to the printing tecnique. With Black Strong & Flexible this steps are not presents.
    [​IMG]

To make it smoth i just used sandpaper. 5 minutes of work:
    [​IMG]

Paintings:
    To paint the shell i decided to use spray color (RAL 9006).

This material is quite porous so i had to spray 3/4 times before it stop to absorb and start to get smoth.
    [​IMG] (this is no finished yet)

When finished i will ad a coat of transparent paint to protect it from scratch.

I just made some experiment with heat resistant paint, here the result that is pretty cool:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  3. 40444_deleted
    40444_deleted Member
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Wow. Nice tutorial. I was thinking about doing similar with my Honda Civic key.

5. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    very nice tutorial!

6. 40444_deleted
    40444_deleted Member
    Thanks ! :D

7. 40444_deleted
    40444_deleted Member
    New picture:
    [​IMG]

8. 76799_deleted
    76799_deleted Member
    Hi,

I have just ordered the shell, but I have some questions.

Are the screws included? In case they are not, what kind of screws should I get?

How difficult is to extract the electronics from the original key? could you add some picturers or video?

Thanks

9. 40444_deleted
    40444_deleted Member
    Screw are included with the mechanics,

Extracting the electronics from original key is easy as change the battery.

Did you read the instruction over here ?

Francesco

10. 76799_deleted
    76799_deleted Member
    Yes, I watched to the videos and read the assembly instructions that you provided in the post.

I was just curious about the way to extract the electronics from the original key.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  11. 40444_deleted
    40444_deleted Member
    BE CAREFULL !
    This key mechanics is NOT compatible with my shells.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

12. 40444_deleted
    40444_deleted Member
  13. 40444_deleted
    40444_deleted Member
    MORE INFOS ABOUT SCREEWS

Usually the screws you need to join the sheels comes with the mechanincs that need to be bought as seen in the instructions page. I usually sugges, if more screew are needed to come in an hardware store with them and buy similar ones.

In terms of kind of screews any one like: Triangular self tapping screws.

Definition in wikipedia says: Other screw threads are designed to cut a helical groove in a softer material as the screw is inserted .

Head of screew should be "button" type or "flat" type.
    Lenght anything betwen: 5 and 8 mm

I do suggest "Phillips" type of socket, but any type is ok as soon as you own the proper screewdriver.

Diameter of the treadh is like 2 mm, but could be little more, the material is kinda elastic.

Hope this helps.