Home » Community » It arrived! » Ring'n'Roll!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Ring'n'Roll! [message #20547] Mon, 15 November 2010 22:34 UTC Go to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Hi all,

The Ring'n'Roll arrived in Alumide.
This model is made of two nested rings that have the shape of portions of spheres and that can roll freely one inside the other in any direction.
It is probably way too big to make it an actual finger ring (too big even for a thumb ring) but it rolls very well and, as expected, it is really addictive Very Happy
Here are the pictures:
index.php?t=getfile&id=5905&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=5906&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=5907&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=5908&private=0

In order to be sure it worked properly, I printed it in Alumide for cost reasons, but it is actually designed for Stainless Steel (2mm thickness and 0.75mm for clearance between the two rings).

I will try to add a video as soon as possible.

A version with holes (less expensive) is also available, but I did no tested it yet.

[Updated on: Sat, 20 November 2010 16:15 UTC]

Re: Ring'n'Roll! [message #20779 is a reply to message #20547 ] Sat, 20 November 2010 16:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I added a video about the Ring'n'Roll.
I hope you will appreciate how well it rolls and even the noise it make...
Very Happy
Personally, I like the way Alumide catch the light...
Re: Ring'n'Roll! [message #21981 is a reply to message #20779 ] Thu, 30 December 2010 13:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Unfortunately, I learnt today that this design is not printable in Metal (because it has movable parts). So Alumide is still the best option available, until the technology makes some progress of course... Very Happy
Re: Ring'n'Roll! [message #21982 is a reply to message #21981 ] Thu, 30 December 2010 13:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to all my models
Magic wrote on Thu, 30 December 2010 13:10

Unfortunately, I learnt today that this design is not printable in Metal (because it has movable parts). So Alumide is still the best option available, until the technology makes some progress of course... Very Happy

It must make progress!! we can't work like this ! Laughing

I think Alumide is really amazing for printing long lasting models!

http://www.3Dizingof.com

Re: Ring'n'Roll! [message #21985 is a reply to message #21982 ] Thu, 30 December 2010 14:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I must say that these times - for metal - I have seen some kind of regression, with models usually accepted being now rejected.
But I am confident that this is only a transition phase and that in the future there will be more tolerance for metal printing. In the meantime, I will try to be patient...

And yes, Alumide is a good alternative to metal. I have not enough experience with it to estimate its durability but compared to WSF it seems less porous, heavier, and it is much easier to take pictures of it. Of course it is also less flexible and the wall thickness is 1.5mm instead of 0.7 but it is still less than Stainless Steel with the new restrictions (by default, 3mm is requested).
Re: Ring'n'Roll! [message #21992 is a reply to message #21985 ] Thu, 30 December 2010 18:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
With the current stainless steel Shapeways offers it seems to be that whoever checks the model when the print is ordered has the final say as to whether the model is printable or not... with models I've expected to be rejected, some go through and others pass.

There is also the software check on upload that will reject any model with a less than 2.5mm bounding box dimension.

As for the future... Direct Metal Laser Sintering (google hint Wink ) looks good, but from the information I've found, its much more expensive than the Shapeways option.

A suggestion to make your Ring'n'Roll printable in steel, if you don't mind some post production work... have sprues that join the two parts together (making the model a single part)... not what you intended I know, but a viable workaround.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 December 2010 18:37 UTC]

Re: Ring'n'Roll! [message #22023 is a reply to message #21992 ] Fri, 31 December 2010 11:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Adding sprues? 3mm of diameter, I suppose? No thanks.
I am just a designer: I respect too much Shapeways to do their job.
I will wait. There are so many other models to design...
Very Happy
Thanks for the Direct Metal Laser Sintering stuff, and have some nice New Year celebrations!
Re: Ring'n'Roll! [message #22026 is a reply to message #22023 ] Fri, 31 December 2010 14:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Can't say too much in public, PM sent Wink
Re: Ring'n'Roll! [message #33631 is a reply to message #22026 ] Wed, 31 August 2011 21:09 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
This is an old model, but I did not have ordered it yet.
The Ring'n'Roll with holes finally arrived in Polished White Strong and Flexible:
/openfile/173829/photos/photo49874.jpg

/openfile/173829/photos/photo49875.jpg

To be honest, it does not roll as well as the Alumide version: I guess the polishing process adds to much clearance.
But by playing with the models, I discovered a funny thing: both models are flexible enough to extract the inner ring from the outer one and thus exchange the inner rings between the two models. Here is the result:
index.php?t=getfile&id=10852&private=0
This means that you can mix colors... Interesting...

• Attachment: IMG_3207.JPG
    (Size: 354.15KB, Downloaded 241 time(s))

[Updated on: Wed, 31 August 2011 21:27 UTC]

So many things to design, so little time...

Previous Topic:Science Fiction Book Series Models!
Next Topic:Second order - second failure...