Product Names

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flat3duk, Mar 21, 2016.

1. flat3duk
    flat3duk Member
    Is there any benefit to giving products a fancy name or are buyers not worried about the names?
    For example, I have some decorative eggs, A, B, C, etc.. Would it be better if I gave them some type of name in the same way IKEA give names to all their products instead of just calling them chair A, B, C, or giving them a reference number.
    And not just for multiple items, would single items benefit from having a name?

2. elopez3d
    elopez3d Well-Known Member
    I sure think they would, what are customers going to tell people when they show it off?
    This "....piece called A" was designed by this dude?
    I doubt that would lead to more sales.

3. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    I'm guilty of doing the A,B, C or 1, 2, 3 thing myself. One of the bigger problems with this is that when you add another design that fits between A and B you might end up having to rename the original B and C to C and D. And of course the letters or numbers don't necessarily mean much to the customer.

At some point I might go through every model and rename them in a more fanciful and comprehensive fashion but this generally requires a longer title. But when you look at a store you don't see the full title so I don't see much point in doing that right now. They did try displaying more title characters on multiple lines in the store view for a few days last year but apparently this is a very, very difficult feature to implement and they pulled it back.

Another reason to use a more comprehensive title is to give your models better visibility on outside search tools like Google search. If someone is searching for a specific thing they may not be as likely to click on something called "thing A" as they might "thing with hat and puffy jacket". But in your store view anyone browsing will see "thing A" but a more complete title might read as "thing with ha...".

So at this point I don't know what's best. ;)

4. he6agon
    he6agon Well-Known Member
    My products are mostly scale models of things in the world, so I try to make the name descriptive of the thing it represents. This only helps so much I suppose since the names I use are often too long to show up completely in a listing of the products since Shapeways won't wrap the text and instead truncates it with ellipsis.

Even if you don't use a descriptive name, in my opinion anything would be better than "Product One, Two, Three" or "Part A, B, C" and so on.

5. MrNibbles
    Also how much of the title displays is a function of how many columns are being viewed, which is a function of how wide the page view is, which is also a function of the device upon which you are viewing a shop. Maybe if they allowed for a fixed single column store view option there would be fewer problems with displaying the complete title, and it would be easier to scroll through a store on something like a cell phone with simple thumb swipes.

6. flat3duk
    flat3duk Member
    I should have been clearer with my explanation.
    My products do have a description in the title but for multiple products such as my decorative egg I add a letter, example, Egg A Decorative, Egg B Decorative, Egg C Decorative.
    Instead of the letter should I give the products a unique design name, for example, "Nova Decorative Egg" or "Honeycomb Decorative Egg"
    I assumed everyone would have heard of the Swedish company IKEA and their distinct product names although lots of other companies do this as well and give their products a name.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  7. MrNibbles
    There is no right or wrong. I think the general consensus is that creative names are better than using abc or 123 for different styles. The whole point of the title length issue is that if you make your title too long potential customers may not be able to read it unless they click on the link to view your model.

8. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    I give my products their actual Linnaean species name, and if I weren't selling mainly to scientists, it would probably be disastrous. Even my 12-year-old says "My mom sells jewelry with names I can't pronounce."

I recently saw a meme on social media that said "Don't make fun of someone who mispronounces a word; it means they probably learned it by reading." Truth right there.

I vote for exotic, unique names.

9. MrNibbles
    How about combining Ikea names?

Jordgubbe Fejkar Torka has a nice ring to it.

10. flat3duk
    flat3duk Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I think I will change the letters to give them a name, maybe based on some type of theme like Ontogenie's. I will have a think and get them in place soon.

11. railNscale
    railNscale Well-Known Member
    Hello,

Since we design miniatures, the names of our products is often quite obvious the name of the original vehicle or object.
    But sometimes we have entire product line-ups with stuff that almost look identical. Our tools: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rail-n-scale?section=Tools&a mp;s=0 or catenary products: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rail-n-scale?section=Catenar y&s=0 show examples of products that are near identical. There we choose to give the products a name that explains the differences.
    In some other case, like our bonus sets: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rail-n-scale?section=Bonus+S ets&s=0 the product names are short and relatively easy to remember.

If you design new products, then more creative names would be recommmended.

I think it makes sense to give product names that can be remembered and suits to the product.

Regards,
    Maurice
    RAILNSCALE

12. flat3duk
    flat3duk Member
    Thanks all, I have now given the products more creative and appropriate names. Whether this will make the products more appealing to potential buyers is another matter.