More in stainless

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by stop4stuff, Nov 8, 2010.

1. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    The Step Twin D6 arrived!
    Why the Step Twin?
    Well, because it's the complimentary twin to my Stepped Die D6

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this model is really pushing the boundaries in what can be acheived in stainless steel... the 1.2mm steps are only joined by 0.2mm strips and as can be seen the model is slightly skewed.

[​IMG]

Also, in the same box...

Twinrailmobiuswithballpendant]https://www.shapeways.com/model/162900/]Twin rail mobius with ball pendant

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ball supplied with the model should have been 5mm diameter, it came in at about 4mm (by eye), so I grabbed a 6mm ball and retro-fitted it.

[​IMG]

2. 20201_deleted
    20201_deleted Member
    Definitely a better idea to add you own ball! Better action, fewer failed prints. A glass ball might look sharp too.

-G

3. stop4stuff
    Own ball is the way forward... from now on I'm making all my 'can-have-a-ball' models so they can take a 6mm ball of whatever material... and maybe some speciality steel printed balls too ;)

4. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    I came to the same conclusion about having balls in items. I still like trying to make it work fully printed, but for stuff that I sell directly to customers are working out better installing it myself.

These prints look very slick. Are they exactly the way they came from SW, or have you polished them?

Lincoln
    www.Craftosterone.com

5. stop4stuff
    These models were fresh out the box from Shapeways photographed, no polishig at all :)

6. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    Nice! They came out great.

Lincoln
    www.Craftosterone.com

7. 20201_deleted
    20201_deleted Member
    Why don't you try to insert some of those " Reuleaux Triangles" instead of spheres? The faceted surfaces of these shapes would add some flash and even more mystery.
    -G

8. gibell
    gibell Well-Known Member
    Interersting idea! But the problem might be that such objects wouldn't smoothly roll along a track of wires, although maybe this is the point. If you put them on a flat surface and put a plate on top of them, they always have the same width, just like spheres. But if you tried to roll them down a gutter they would have to bounce around because there would be two points of contact on the sides rather than top and bottom.

How do you get the ball in there if it is not made as part of the object? I assume you have to force it in there?

9. 20201_deleted
    20201_deleted Member
    Yeah, i guess they would sort of roll along their edges not their surfaces? Might not work then. I'm sort of spatially challenged when it comes to visualizing forms in motion. That's why I prefer working with hand & hammers over computers.

-G

10. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Couldn't it work with a 4 barred system? the width and hieght would always be the same right? A 3 bar wouldn't because they don't stay consistent at 120 degrees.

11. clsn
    clsn Well-Known Member
    Actually, I can't see a problem with using surfaces of constant width like Reuleaux triangles and such. The whole point of a sphere is that it can't escape because it always needs at least space "d" to slip through—and so does any surface of constanr width. The smoothness of rolling doesn't really enter into it, especially since that mostly relates to the height of the center of the object, and nothing is attached to the center.

Whatever; I think it should work.

12. stop4stuff
    A little update;

I bought in some 6mm chrome steel ball bearings and fitted 31 into my Twin rail mobius pendant. The balls really help accentuate the shape of the pendant.

[​IMG]

13. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    :D

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  14. 20201_deleted
    20201_deleted Member
    Niiiiice!
    Cobalt blue glass balls would be amazing too.

15. stop4stuff
    Cheers :)
    [adds cobalt blue glass balls to wifey's friend's skills shopping list]

16. pete
    pete Shapeways Employee CEO
    Please make a video and share it with your model! Very curious to see how it would look moving!

17. stop4stuff
  18. stop4stuff
    How about blue steel balls?

[​IMG]

I heat treated some chrome steel balls to make them change colour... Video here

19. 20201_deleted
    20201_deleted Member
    SWEET

20. stop4stuff
    Cheers Glen.

My wife just got in from work and told me I'll be getting a few sample cobalt blue glass balls when her friend can fit them into her schedule in the next few weeks.