Co design

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by mctrivia, Nov 4, 2010.

1. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    Would be nice if I could partner with another shop owner on a project. And though it is on my shop the product I can set that I get $x profit and he gets $y profit.

2. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    As I asked it more than one year ago, I totally agree.
    :D

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  3. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Sounds interesting.

4. CGD
    CGD Member
    I need that feature too.

5. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Sounds Interesting,

How many people would use this? And would you sell the item in one shop or both? or not at all?

6. CGD
    CGD Member
    I would like to use this feature because I have joint ventures with other members. For now it's mainly the other member pays me a flat fee to make a model for him to sell from his shop. With this feature, I can charge a royalty for each unit he sells, and the fee would goes from his markup to my account.

So it's selling from one shop and the markup splits in a user settable percentage to 2 or more accounts. That's what I'm looking for.

CGD

7. Sylook
    Sylook Member
    I like this idea too. I think many designers will find it useful.

8. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    I have no solution, but I have two remarks:
    - first, it should also work for co-creators: if I design, say, a die but I do not want to customize it because I have no time to do so (or because I do not like to interact with customers ;)), I would like to be able to delegate that task to another designer
    - second, the business model of Shapeways must be maintained: I give a license of my design to Shapeways (not to another designer) and in exchange Shapeways (not another designer) gives me a royalty. The final customers must be client of Shapeways only.

Oh, actually I have perhaps a solution :)
    One possibility could be to extend the (not yet implemented but long awaited) notion of collection: a design made of different parts (for example because they have too many faces to be only one, or because they are made of different materials).
    If the implementation of the collection is "transparent" to the customer - that is if it is so easy to buy a collection compared to buying a single object that you cannot tell the difference, then we could imagine "virtual" collections where the "parts" are actually the different work of each designer (2 or more!). Each part has its own markup going to the appropriate designer.
    Does that make sense?

Magic
    PS: this leads to another question: when collections will be implemented, would it be possible that each part of the collection would be made by a different designer? For instance, would a customer be allowed to order a marble holder that I designed along with a marble made by someone else?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010