Home » Community » It arrived! » First Color Topographic Model - Mt. St. Helens
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
First Color Topographic Model - Mt. St. Helens [message #20045] Wed, 03 November 2010 18:39 UTC Go to next message
avatar chronopsis2  is currently offline chronopsis2
Go to my shop
Took several tries, but finally made a topographic model. 10 x 8 x 1.6 cm. This is Mt. St. Helens, using elevation data and aerial imagery from the USGS seamless data system. It's hollowed out underneath to save $. I'm impressed with the photographic detail; pretty close to the resolution I'd hoped for. Haven't yet coated it with gloss acrylic medium, which is what I've been using on my other color sandstone prints. A little reluctant to make this all shiny...
item page here
index.php?t=getfile&id=5734&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=5735&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=5736&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=5737&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=5738&private=0

Re: First Color Topographic Model - Mt. St. Helens [message #20067 is a reply to message #20045 ] Wed, 03 November 2010 23:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar fracai  is currently offline fracai
Go to my shop
That's really neat. What was your process for converting the USDS data? I admittedly haven't done very much searching, but I haven't seen anything regarding the format on the USDS site.
Re: First Color Topographic Model - Mt. St. Helens [message #20082 is a reply to message #20045 ] Thu, 04 November 2010 12:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Exactly my response and question...

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: First Color Topographic Model - Mt. St. Helens [message #20085 is a reply to message #20045 ] Thu, 04 November 2010 13:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar chronopsis2  is currently offline chronopsis2
Go to my shop
It's the USGS site, and once you get the process down, it's a great resource. I made a little workflow tutorial (for my students) here:
Using the USGS map server
Re: First Color Topographic Model - Mt. St. Helens [message #20087 is a reply to message #20045 ] Thu, 04 November 2010 13:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Where does your example zoom into? that looks very close to my home lol. At least if you zoomed into Maryland's eastern shore. As far as St. Helens, I've always had a fascination with it. Lovely model.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: First Color Topographic Model - Mt. St. Helens [message #20090 is a reply to message #20085 ] Thu, 04 November 2010 14:57 UTC Go to previous message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
chronopsis2 wrote on Thu, 04 November 2010 13:19

It's the USGS site, and once you get the process down, it's a great resource. I made a little workflow tutorial (for my students) here:
Using the USGS map server

Wow, fantastic tutorial... FYI, curiously, the very last two images did not load for me.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery

Previous Topic:My miniature spaceships!
Next Topic:Jingly-jangly awesomeness

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.