Multipart Jewelry: Motorcycle Engine Ring

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Leander, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Leander
    Leander Member
    Hello everybody.

Today I am finally finished with a product I had planed and started prototyping a long time ago.
    I want to introduce a mutlipart ring. It represents a motorcycle engine with various details, that is assembled by two parts:
    1. A base ring
    2. A cap

[​IMG]

The pieces are assembled with industrial hex bolts and nuts M1.6. Since I create jewelry for engineers, mechanics and people interested in technical things, I chose to design pieces that use industrial steel bolts and nuts to give them a unique character.
    As far as I can tell, the use of such screws with jewelry has infact been done before. I only recall one shapeways product that did not use precious metal though. So despite not being the first, this approach seems still pretty unconventional.

Now to the ring itself:

Design
    This bike engine ring has a whole lot of cooling fins, an ignition plug, push rods and the polished cap. Real bike engines are in general cast parts without surface finish, which is why a polished or galvanised cap is bolted on for a precious design. All Choppers like Harleys and other showbikes have such engines. In the case of the ring, a contrast color can also be selected by choosing a different color from the ring. To make it realistic, I sell the ring in raw silver, with the cap being available in various polished materials.
    [​IMG]
    In order to make the ring not to big and heavy above the finger, I cut as many cooling fins as possible into the ring band section. This streched the appearence of the part without making the actual object "on top of the ring" to high, while at the same time creating the illusion of an tall, complete cylinder.

Assembly
    The ring is assembled by sinking the nuts into the base and having the neat looking bolts be visible on top of the cap. M1.6 x 6 bolts and M1.6 nuts are used.

More pictures and info on this ring here on shapeways and my webpage.

Here one more picture of the ring on quality root wood:
    [​IMG]

On a side note I will add more designs of this specific part of jewelry design with bolts in the near future. So if you like this idea follow me, and you will see even fancier constructions with moving parts packed into small jewelry pieces.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016