3D printed rubber

Discussion in 'Materials' started by aeron203, Nov 1, 2010.

1. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    The company that manufactures the machine that produces Shapeways Detail materials also offers a rubber-like material. I remember Shapeways offering a rubber-stamp product as a test run, but they never offered it as a material option.
    The possibilities really open up when you have such a flexible material to design with. I'd like to see the materials available on a trial basis, so we can experiment.
    I don't know which model machine Shapeways is running, but the Connex500 unit offers multi-material printing. I can think of a million reasons why people would want this. Current materials are very rough and soil easily. Wouldn't an iPhone holder be much more functional in a silicone-like rubber? What about printing your own molds, that will work even with slight undercuts? Grip features like the double-shot molding on toothbrushes would really add some style and a quality feel to our work.

Anyone else interested in printing with flexible materials?

2. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    A while back i saw a shop with models made of the rubber stamps! so i asked Joris how can we design with that rubber material..
    He replied he will look into it..

I'm basically for any affordable material out there that shapeways think would do good for its business.

for ex. i really think it should be a high priority to offer high detailed, affordable (with few colors?) ABS plastic - as Alumide, WSF and the detailed materials don't really cut it for consumer/gadgets designs..

It is also very important that a 3D printed product should last.. or customers might not return for more..

my 2c :cool:

3. bartv
    bartv Member
    Good question, I'll ask around to see what happened to rubber.

Bart

4. Sylook
    Sylook Member
    Yes rubber would be very useful.
    Count me in! :D

5. 36395_deleted
    36395_deleted Member
    I have a few things in mind for which rubber would be suitable though it would depend on it's properties. If it's sufficiently stiff and wear resistant it would be great.

6. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    I don't think shapeways allows printing adult toys.. :D

7. chris89
    chris89 Member
    the problem with the Object tango/rubber material is that it becomes brittle over time and will easily break.
    Or so i've heard.

8. 36395_deleted
    36395_deleted Member
    :laughing: Actually I was thinking of pressmoulds but I'm sure you will have stirred some people's imagination now. :p

9. bartv
    bartv Member
    I asked around and as it turns out we won't be able to offer it just now, but I'll do my best to start a new pilot somewhere next year. Stay tuned!

Bart

10. Kaetemi
    Kaetemi Member
    just disguise them as life-size statues :twisted:

11. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    @chris89

I had a chance to handle some samples and was pretty impressed at the similarity to molded silicone. Most people would not be able to tell the difference. I can't speak for the durability since I wasn't able to test the samples destructively, but I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the conditions. A shoe made with the stuff would probably last 1-3 weeks under normal use, and major stretching probably shortens the life a lot, but these questions are exactly why I want to try them. Many more things are possible than are currently being done.

12. __DF__
    __DF__ Member
    Any chance to add rubber to the available materials?

13. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Hi All,

The rubber was problematic in that it had a tendency to stick to (and destroy) the print heads.

Keep letting us know if this is something you are keen on and it will move up the wish list.

thanks

14. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    I guess rubber would be usefull to make stress balls but also for someone like Yuris Lesnik to make his morphers...
    If the price is not too expensive, I'd be interested.

15. 62424_deleted
    62424_deleted Member
    hello Magic! Thanks! I'd be interested to see and to touch, will be glad to participate in such project. Yuris.

16. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Hey Yuris! Glad to see you here!
    Does anyone know if the 3D-printed rubber is flexible and elastic enough for a hollow ball with an openning to be flipped inside out (like a sock) without breaking?

17. 71177_deleted
    71177_deleted Member
    I would be very interested in a rubberlike material! My application is a prototype shoe-sole.

18. Innovo
    Innovo Member
    I could really use some kind of rubber material for future projects I cannot pursue right now...
    Any news about this?

19. ARTMACHINE64
    ARTMACHINE64 Member
    For some projects, I'd like to print metal parts and rubber gaskets to make seals between them.

It'd be nice to be able to print rubber parts to fit together with parts printed of other materials. Good to add friction among poseable articulated parts after assembly. Also to insulate temperature and or electricity in working mechanical prototypes.
    I'd also be interested in more elastic, stretchable rubber to make elastic parts of different grades of stiffness.

Alot to ask for, i know, but you guys already offer way more than i dared ask for before, haha. I would be very happy, and not very surprised if you could pull that off.

20. B1lancer
    B1lancer Member
    Just posting to register my interest in a rubber material :)