Best way to splice oversized piece?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 1029756_deleted, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Hello,

What is the industry recommended way of modeling this in two halves that can be joined together securely?
    I know how to slice/cut it into two pieces but I need a better type of connection/fitting than the two flat surfaces glued together.
    This is my first oversized print piece so I'm looking for the best way to have each half printed that can then be easily and securely connected together once the parts have arrived. It is also important for the two pieces to have an invisible or hairline joint/seam. I imagine some sort of male/female connection is used but please share your advice. Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  2. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    For a piece this big would cost over $450.
    It can be joined by using a dowel method.
    The industry standard would be to make this out of timber. In separate pieces using square stock and round section, the end section can be turned on a lathe. Then joining the parts with dowels.

picket.png

3. This is for mockup purposes and we will be printing it in two pieces from strong & flexible plastic to fit shapeway's largest machine.
    In your diagram, what will hold the two pieces together? What will prevent them from spinning?
    Is the round dowel and round hole the best/recommended method to use for this design?

4. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    To stop them from spinning change the hole and dowel into a hexagonal shape.
    You could make the hole as deep as you want.
    Just leave enough clearance for a push fit and fix with glue. In the image there is a 0.1mm gap.

picket.png