Hello from Finland!

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by 55623_deleted, Oct 27, 2010.

1. 55623_deleted
    55623_deleted Member
    I just discovered Shapeways yesterday as I was browsing through some random gadget blog:

http://craziestgadgets.com/2010/09/29/steve-jobs-head-in-pix el-art-3d-on-your-desk/

I remember when Blizzard started offering this service to print out your own World of Warcraft character ( I was tempted but it was too expensive for my wallet), but never before had I seen a service that let's you print out your own 3D models. Revolutionary!

I work as a game artist, mostly creating 2D game art, but on occasion I get the chance to make some low poly 3d models for some of our games as well.

http://www.andrea.net/art/frame_sub_01.html

However I am quite the newbie still where 3D modelling (let alone animating) is concerned. So I'm not sure if I'd be skilled enough to create something to be printed, but I am definitely going to try it (when I can afford to order something).

I've been using hours, browsing through the "It arrived!" forum and have been absolutely amazed by what y'all have been creating. Very cool stuff! I'm practically trembling with excitement thinking about all of the things I could make.

Looking forward to learning more about this, seeing what you folks make and trying out my very first object as well!

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Welcome to the community! What software do you use? Ordering something someone else made is fine and dandy, but ordering something you made yourself is where the fun is at. If you need any help let us know, we will get you up and printing in no time.

3. 55623_deleted
    55623_deleted Member
    Thanks very much!

I use 3ds Max and have only dabbled a bit with Maya and SketchUp, but feel most comfy with Max.

Already in this short time I've noticed that there is a great atmosphere in the community here, very helpful and friendly folks. I'm sure there will be many questions once I get started so beware hehe :).

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Of the software you've mentioned I know the most about sketchup and that is very limited so others will have to help you on the modeling side :p.