Home » Support » 3D Applications » Blender specific - Bad wall thickness
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Blender specific - Bad wall thickness [message #19688] Wed, 27 October 2010 02:03 UTC Go to next message
avatar javierdl  is currently offline javierdl
Go to all my models
Hi all,

Where am I to find the "weights" the Shapeways script advises to see?

Thanks in advance,

JDL
Re: Blender specific - Bad wall thickness [message #19690 is a reply to message #19688 ] Wed, 27 October 2010 03:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar clsn  is currently offline clsn
Go to my shop
In the mode selector, go to "Weight Paint" mode.
Re: Blender specific - Bad wall thickness [message #19713 is a reply to message #19690 ] Wed, 27 October 2010 14:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thank you clsn Smile
I actually tried that. I thought maybe painting red the whole model it would do the trick. But it didn't Sad
Was it supposed to?

J
Re: Blender specific - Bad wall thickness [message #19716 is a reply to message #19713 ] Wed, 27 October 2010 15:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar clsn  is currently offline clsn
Go to my shop
javierdl wrote on Wed, 27 October 2010 14:58

Thank you clsn Smile
I actually tried that. I thought maybe painting red the whole model it would do the trick. But it didn't Sad
Was it supposed to?

J

As I understand it, the Shapeways Tools script *assigns* weight paint to the vertices so you can see where it's having trouble. So places that are red, the script thought were too thin for walls (places that are okay are in blue, or at least green). Repainting with weight paint won't make any difference, since the point is that the *shape* is bad (too thin) and to fix it you have to fix the shape (make it thicker, or shorter, or whatever).

On the other hand, the script's decision isn't final either. It can't necessarily tell what will be considered a detail and not a wall, and it's sometimes wrong. Don't take it to be authoritative; you can upload things even if the script doesn't like them.
Re: Blender specific - Bad wall thickness [message #19718 is a reply to message #19716 ] Wed, 27 October 2010 16:03 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
I see. Thank you so much for your explanation, this helps a lot! Smile

J

Previous Topic:Polygon limit
Next Topic:Offset for coating thickness?