advice sought

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 1054678_deleted, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Hello

In November I visited Shapeways with a group of my students and Ruud, who kindly looked after us on the day, said that I would be able to send some of their work over to be printed.
    I have 3 students who currently wish to print objects using SLS and I would like to know a few things before I send them over to print.
    There are 10 objects in total:

Student 1 has 3 separate objects that she would like printed in different colours (of the Italian flag). Ideally, she would like them to be slightly flexible, but if it works out much cheaper to print all 3 students' work in the same material, she can forgo the flexibility.

Student 2 has 2 different objects, of which one will be printed twice. These 2 parts are caps that will assemble to the third with a push fit lip (male and female). I have attached 2 JPEGs so you can see. She would like these printed in a bright turquoise and would like it to be fairly rigid and tough, as it will be housing an 80mm diameter acrylic tube and MP3 circuit and speakers. Would you please recommend a suitable material for this and detail the ideal difference in diameters between each connecting male and female?

Student 3 has a 4-part container similar to a Russian doll, so that 2 inner pots connect via the same push-fit lip as student 2's, then 2 outer pots connect the same way. She would like these printed in a lime green. Would you please recommend a suitable material for this and detail the ideal difference in diameters between each connecting male and female?

I think you recommended to another member a difference of 0.1mm but could this not be simply achieved when sanding down? The students have currently allowed for no difference but I can ask them to adjust this if I get an answer back today or tomorrow.

Would it be possible to send them all together on the same order? If so, do I just upload each item in STL format and specify the material, colour and quantity for each?

Finally, if I were to send them tomorrow, could you give me an estimated delivery time in the UK, as coursework deadlines are fast approaching and they will need to plan their time accordingly. Many thanks.

Andy Russell
    Head of DT
    Hockerill College

Attached Files:

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Best email service@shapeways.com who will then put you in touch with the appropriate people - in particular if special arrangements need to be made regarding cost and delivery time. At first glance the "strong and flexible" nylon material is probably suited best for these projects (slightly flexible if thin, quite sturdy if thicker) - you can find out about the available materials on the "Materials" tab under the "MAKE" heading. As this is white by default and colored versions are achieved by dyeing the printed models with textile dyes, only a small range of colors is available (red and green for the Italian student luckily, but only a deeper blue rather than turquoise).