Strong flexible material and salt water issues, Are there any?

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by clusteruk, Jan 30, 2016.

1. clusteruk
    clusteruk Member
    I have designed a frame to hold 6 sport cameras in waterproof housings and I wonder how the Strong and flexible materials will cope in sea water.

Steve

2. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    SWF is pretty porous, will probably make a great matrix for sea life (then there is the UV factor). Have you considered ordering a FUD model and preparing it as a master model for RTV molds and resin casting? -S

3. clusteruk
    clusteruk Member
    This is only going to be dipped in for at most 1 hour at a time, (battery life of camera) then cleaned off. I just wondered it the salt would weaken the material.

4. Shea_Design
    Shea_Design Well-Known Member
    With a porous material you can never really clean it as the elements will embed in the plastic. Will it last a few years?, probably. And it will likely get slimy if a single cleaning is missed. Maybe that works for the cost, your call. -S

5. MrNibbles
    MrNibbles Well-Known Member
    It sounds like the plastic might need to be relatively thick because it's carrying objects that are relatively heavy. Perhaps you don't need as much strength while it is in the water but the moment it is lifted out of the water you don't want it to break or snap, sending your valuable equipment to the bottom of the murky depths. In my opinion the problem isn't salt exposure but potential high cost if the item is large and uses a lot of 3D printed material. I think if you're at all worried about salt penetration a quick rinse with fresh water after a dive should eliminate most of the salt, or soaking overnight in a bucket of fresh water for an extra level of sound mind.

6. clusteruk
    clusteruk Member
    Thanks for all of the responses, taken on board.

7. bluelinegecko
    bluelinegecko Well-Known Member
    I know of someone using the strong and flexible materials as an adapter to tag sea life. The parts have been holding up for quite some time and he even had them pressure tested to -10,000 ft. He coats them with a special paint to avoid the marine growth on the material.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  8. clusteruk
    clusteruk Member
    Hi thats useful to know, do you know what paint?