Home »  » Work in progress » Flame Polished Transparent Detail
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Flame Polished Transparent Detail [message #19440] Wed, 20 October 2010 14:42 UTC Go to next message
avatar oopsclunkthud  is currently offline oopsclunkthud
Go to my shop
I'm working on a replacement emblem for a 1957 scooter. The original was a plastic lens with the lettering and lines embossed and painted on the back.

Ninja Rabbit Badge

I know that I can sand and polish the face and paint the back to get most of the desired result. However, the letters and lines on the back were chrome on the original. If I can get the surface smooth enough then a silver paint should give a chrome look.

Has anyone tried to flame polish the Transparent Detail material? I know it can work on cast acrylic sheets and that the transparent detail is "acrylic-based" so my hopes are high.

I'll probably test on the face of the lens so that I can sand it out if it goes badly.
Re: Flame Polished Transparent Detail [message #19442 is a reply to message #19440 ] Wed, 20 October 2010 14:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
The transparent detail material won't be as nice as that looks, perhaps if you model the insides, print it, paint it, and cover in a clear epoxy.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Flame Polished Transparent Detail [message #19872 is a reply to message #19440 ] Fri, 29 October 2010 21:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar oopsclunkthud  is currently offline oopsclunkthud
Go to my shop
Did some small tests with flame polishing the Transparent Detail material and can say that it does not work.

Sticking to sandpaper and plastic polish is working well though.

Here's the face polished.
index.php?t=getfile&id=5681&private=0

next step is to sand and paint the back.

• Attachment: IMG_2559.jpg
    (Size: 39.99KB, Downloaded 332 time(s))

Re: Flame Polished Transparent Detail [message #19873 is a reply to message #19872 ] Fri, 29 October 2010 22:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar LincolnK  is currently offline LincolnK
Go to my shop
Great job!

I have used a polishing compound with a cotton buffer attachment for a drill to polish with good results.

You can get kits for drills for as little as $15 from hardware stores. They are made for buffing out scratches and polishing the plastic on head lights/ tail lights.

Lincoln
www.Craftosterone.com

For special discounts and news add us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Craftosterone
www.Craftosterone.com
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/novakingway
Re: Flame Polished Transparent Detail [message #19889 is a reply to message #19873 ] Sat, 30 October 2010 11:25 UTC Go to previous message
avatar jasolo  is currently offline jasolo
Go to my shop
Maybe the polishing of transparent detail could allow the creation of lenses of low quality, enough for making cameras such as the lomos. I have seen 3D printed accessories for cameras, but not a project of a full 3D printed camera. And the lens isn't a problem because there is always the pinhole alternative.

Previous Topic:Spiralling Infinity
Next Topic:Scaling from Carrarra

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.