Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Applications » Game model
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Game model [message #1315] Mon, 15 September 2008 06:49 UTC Go to next message
avatar Comprox  is currently offline Comprox
Go to all my models
I am looking to make some models of half-life mod (Natural Selection) to bring with me on my trip in a few months where I am going to be stopping by their new offices and giving them as a surprise gift. (just in case there is some legal issue with doing this?)

I have some of the character models from the HL mod in a .mdl format. AccuTrans3D states that it can open .mdl files but when I try it on the ones in the game it says the file type is unknown and will not open (guess HL uses the same extension). I downloaded a Gldsrc model viewer (Jed's) but it can't export the model into any other format.

Is there anything more I can try or will I need to look at getting the original files to do this? I can get them, it just might tip them off I am up to something Smile

Thanks

I've attached one of the models just in case anyone wants to try an idea.

• Attachment: alien1.mdl
    (Size: 425.66KB, Downloaded 244 time(s))

Re: Game model [message #1329 is a reply to message #1315 ] Mon, 15 September 2008 22:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop

Hmm, I know it sounds weird, but this technique sometimes works for me when a program won't recognise a filetype that it should:

-open the file in another program that allegedly can open the .mdl file. I think you might have some luck with the program Milkshape. It's free and accepts mdl as well as other game-specific files.

-then export it as a .mdl

-then open in accutrans and continue.

If this doesn't work, but you *can* open the file in Milkshape. Then export it from Milkshape as a .obj file and import this into Accutrans. This should work.

-Whystler

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: Game model [message #1334 is a reply to message #1315 ] Tue, 16 September 2008 03:46 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Comprox  is currently offline Comprox
Go to all my models
You sir are my hero! It took a lot of fiddling (most of the decompiled models did not work in Milkshape, but I finally found one that did).

Thanks again!

Previous Topic:ArchiCAD
Next Topic:Export from trueSpace

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.